cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select an adapter for product after adding product to cart

Select an adapter for product after adding product to cart

Hello,

we make a shop for a company who sells grinder for various kitchen machines and own kitchen machines.
if a customer adds a grinder to the card he shoud select the kitchen maschine he owns and get the matching adapter.

Can you give me a hint how this could be solved?
Is there an extension for that?

My musing was to make the adapters as a 2-step-configurable-product (is this possible?)

(1.Step: Select kitchen maschine manufacter + 2.Step: Select kitchen maschine type)

but how can i automatically open the adapter-selection (detail-view of the configurable-product ? ) if the customer puts a grinder in the cart?

thank you very much

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Select an adapter for product after adding product to cart

Hi @workID 

You have several options for doing this out of the box in Magento. Depending on how many products you have in the end. You can technically setup a Configurable product with two Attributes one for Machine Manufacturer and one for Machine Type, and then add all your Grinders, as Associated products. 

You can add these attributes in the admin under: 

Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes

Under Scope, select Global

Under Catalog Input Type for Store Owner, select Dropdown

Now you have an option to make it a configurable attribute.

When you are done creating your attributes go to 

Catalog  > Attributes > Manage Attribute Sets

And add your attributes to the attribute set you wish to use (properly default).

When you create the configurabel product you select that you want to use these two attributes.

If you need to have multiple grinders, you can use either the Category structure to filter down your customers choices. Or again adding attributes that let customers select What machine and type they are looking for in the Magento Layered Navigation.

You add layered navigation attributes also by creating a new attribute as a dropdown or multiselect, and selecting "Use In Layered Navigation" when creating or editing the attribute.

I hope this helps you, feel free to ask if you have any further questions :-)

Thank you.

My thought was to realize it over Dependent Custom Options with this extension
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/dependent-custom-options.html

i make a simple product an realize the adapter selection over Custom Options.

First let the user select the manufacturer, second the typ and then show the adapter he needed.

What do yo think?
is it better with configurable products? i have never used this before.

Hello @workID 

Look at this extension, it miight help with your requirements of dependable custom options with new features like backup and restore,

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/custom-options-templates-by-magecomp.html

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now