cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate from Adobe Commerce on-premise to Adobe Commerce Cloud

Migrate from Adobe Commerce on-premise to Adobe Commerce Cloud

Hello, we are considering migrating our Adobe Commerce on-premises store to Adobe Commerce Cloud.

Does anyone know if there is a guide with prerequisites and the steps to follow to carry out this migration.

From already thank you very much,
Greetings,
Federico

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Migrate from Adobe Commerce on-premise to Adobe Commerce Cloud

Prerequisites:

1. Assessment and Planning:

• Conduct a comprehensive assessment of your current on-premises environment, including the database, extensions, customizations, and themes.
    • Define your migration objectives and goals. Determine what you want to achieve with Adobe Commerce Cloud.
  2. Subscription and Licensing:

• Ensure that you have an active Adobe Commerce Cloud subscription and the necessary licensing in place.
  3. Backup and Disaster Recovery Plan:

• Implement a robust backup and disaster recovery plan for your on-premises store, ensuring that you can revert to your existing setup in case of any issues during migration.
  4. Data Cleanup:

• Clean up your existing data, including customer records, product data, and orders. Remove any outdated or redundant data.
  5. Extension and Custom Code Audit:

• Identify all extensions and custom code used in your on-premises store. Evaluate whether these extensions are compatible with Adobe Commerce Cloud or if you need to find alternative solutions.

Migration Steps:

1. Set Up Adobe Commerce Cloud Environment:

• Work with Adobe or your hosting provider to set up your Adobe Commerce Cloud environment. This includes configuring the necessary servers, infrastructure, and network settings.
  2. Data Migration:

• Migrate your data from the on-premises store to Adobe Commerce Cloud. This includes product data, customer records, order history, and any other relevant data.
  3. Theme and Customization Migration:

• If you have a custom theme, you'll need to adapt it to work with Adobe Commerce Cloud. Ensure that all customizations are tested and functioning correctly in the new environment.
  4. Extension Installation and Testing:

• Install and configure any necessary extensions or modules in your Adobe Commerce Cloud environment. Test them thoroughly to ensure they work as expected.
  5. Performance Optimization:

• Optimize your Adobe Commerce Cloud environment for performance, following best practices. This includes setting up caching, CDN integration, and other performance-enhancing measures.
  6. Testing and Quality Assurance:

• Conduct thorough testing of your entire store to identify and address any issues. This includes functionality testing, security testing, and performance testing.
  7. DNS and Domain Configuration:

• Update your DNS records and configure domain settings to point to your new Adobe Commerce Cloud environment.
  8. Training and Staff Preparation:

• Train your team on how to use and manage Adobe Commerce Cloud. Ensure that they are familiar with the new environment.
  9. Launch and Monitoring:

• Launch your Adobe Commerce Cloud store. Monitor its performance closely during the initial days to address any issues promptly.
  10. Post-Migration Support:

• Provide support to your customers and team members to address any questions or issues that may arise after the migration.

There are very slight differences between on premise and Adobe Commerce Cloud, mostly a few files related to infrastructure. 

It should be fairly easy to migrate. I have not seen any official guide though. We did that before so if you're stuck, shoot me a DM or email with where you're having issues.

Founder at https://agency418.com

Thanks for the reply.

One more question, I have to have my store in some version to be able to migrate my on-premise store to Adobe Cloud.

For example, if I currently have version 2.4.2, should I update to 2.4.6 over my current infrastructure and then could I just migrate to Adobe Cloud?

Or regardless of the version I have, can I migrate to Adobe Cloud and then, once migrated to Adobe Cloud, would I upgrade to the latest version?

Thank you,
Greetings

I would first upgrade to the latest version. 

Then I would take the latest Adobe Commerce Cloud codebase on a new git branch, move all your theme files from your current master branch into that branch, move all you have in app/code/, move all you have in composer into it. Then test locally if it works as expected.

If it does, import your database into Adobe Commerce Cloud and push this code to Adobe Commerce Cloud (first to staging, test and then to production branch/environment).

Founder at https://agency418.com

Here are the key steps to migrate an on-premises Adobe Commerce store to Adobe Commerce Cloud:

1. Back up your current Adobe Commerce codebase, database, and media files.

2. Create an Adobe Commerce Cloud account and instance. Select the appropriate plan based on traffic and sizing needs.

3. Install and configure the Adobe Commerce Integration CLI tool to push code to Cloud.

4. Use the data migration tool to migrate your database to Cloud. Ensure data is sanitized and optimized.

5. Push your codebase to Cloud using the Integration CLI tool, deploying it to your Cloud instance.

6. Upload your media files such as product images to Cloud storage. 

7. Configure indexers, queues, caches, and services on Cloud instance.

8. Update DNS records to point your domain to Cloud infrastructure.

9. Run tests to ensure functionality, performance, and security were not impacted.

10. Once fully tested and launched, decommission your on-premises servers.

11. Configure Cloud admin panel and benefits like automated backups, monitoring, logging.

12. Update documentation and train team on new Cloud infrastructure.

Migrating to Adobe Commerce Cloud provides enhanced scalability, security, speed, and agility. But careful planning and testing is required.