cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Magento multiple currencies in one storefront?

Does Magento multiple currencies in one storefront?

I'm trying to figure out if Magento only charges in one currency or is able to do multiple?  We currently have a N-A store than serves both Us and Canadian customers.  The base currency is in USD and we have also included CAN.  We have of processing done by paypal and when i client selects CDN money does it charge their card in Canadian or does it just do a real time exchange rate but in the end charges US currency, and if so how are we able to do both when Canada is selected as country?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Does Magento multiple currencies in one storefront?

Checkout is done in the base currency, if you want both USD & CAD as checkout currencies you need two internal websites and the website scope switched on. The problem however is that the secondary currency is not updated by exchange rates or changes to base currency price so you need to perform periodic reloads to set the website price in the secondary currency.

Thanks I had a felling I would need to do that.  What exactly do you mean by "website scope"? If I went down that road how would I sync the duplicate store sites?

Thanks

It's a configuration setting to make price website based instead of global. That's the problem, the data sync is an issue as when you update a product price you need to also update the other base currency view manually. We use an Excel dataload tool that does it all for us so we drop the spreadsheet in a queue and it auto loads from base currency to the website currency with currency conversion & rounding. Otherwise you are going to have to write scripts or perform data uploads each time, it's a limitation of Magento.