cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set a discount for a set of products

How to set a discount for a set of products

Hi there,

I run an online delivery restaurant. I want to create a shopping car rule (or several rules, nevermind) generating the following discounts:

• If you buy 1 starter + 1 main course + 1 desert, you get a $5 discount;
  • If you either buy 1 starter + 1 main course or 1 main course + 1 desert, you get a $3 discount.

Please note that "Starters", "Main courses" and "Deserts" are categories in my store. So if you have the following cart:

• 3 starters
  • 3 main courses
  • 2 deserts
  • 1 bottle of wine

I want you to get a total discount of $13, i.e. $5 for each 3-courses menu + $3 for the 2-courses menu.

I have managed to create rules that are close to what I want but not perfect, so if anyone has a clue about what I should do, I would appreciate it very much!

Cheers.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to set a discount for a set of products

@sebaltou

For this you have to set rules according to the category selection. This can be done from magento admin.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

@

Actions:

• Percent of product price discount: 20. [For some reason, it works better with percentage discount than fixed amount.]
  • Stop Further Rules Processing: No.
  • Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions (leave blank for all items): If ALL  of these conditions are TRUE : Category  is one of 18, 19, 20 

Actions:

• Percent of product price discount: 15.79. [For some reason, it works better with percentage discount than fixed amount.]
  • Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions (leave blank for all items): If ALL  of these conditions are TRUE : Category  is one of 18, 19, 

Actions:

• Percent of product price discount: 15.79. [For some reason, it works better with percentage discount than fixed amount.]
  • Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions (leave blank for all items): If ALL  of these conditions are TRUE : Category  is one of 19, 20 

Of course, categories 18, 19 and 20 correspond to, respectively: starters, main courses and deserts. And the percentages I have set (20% and 15.79%) correspond to respectively -5$ and -3$ according to the selected menu -- although I acknowledge it would be easier to work with fixed amount discounts.

This configuration works fine unless you don't order the same quantities from every categories. For example, if you have the following cart: 2 starters, 1 main course, 1 desert, you should only get a 5$ discount, but you actually get a 6.20$ discount. I don't know why. Other example: if you order 1 starter and 2 main courses (nothing else), you should get a 3$ discount, but you actually get a 6.40$ discount...
I guess these problems have to deal with the priority of the rules and/or the processing of further rules, but whenever I try to tweak these settings, things get even worse, with bigger discount errors. So the current configuration is so far my best effort...Thanks again!

Please set the fixed amount discount and not to the percentage. And set the high priority to these rules and also "Stop Further Rules Processing" to Yes.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now