cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images uploaded for new product don't display on site

Images uploaded for new product don't display on site

When I upload new images for an existing product, the images are uploaded successfully, and I can see them in the /media directory where they should be, but when the site is viewed in a browser, the images are represented by placeholders rather than the files that were uploaded. The site uses CDN but I've determined that there is not a CDN problem. I've tried the various things I've seen here and elsewhere recommended to address similar problems, but haven't hit on the right solution yet. I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has an idea of what to try next.

This is what I've tried so far:

- deleting and re-uploading the new images

- flushing Magento caches (tried both manually along with /var/sessions, and also via the admin UI)

- flushing the image cache (big mistake, that caused *all* of the site's images to be unreachable)

- renaming the /media/.htaccess file

- modifying the rights to the /media folder to 775

- modifying the rights to the /media folder to 777

Other ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Images uploaded for new product don't display on site

Hi @jrdixey (again Smiley Happy)

This is in a similar vain to your previous image issue.

Without actually seeing your file permissions it is difficult to tell. However, your var and var/cache directories also need to be writable so magento can create the resized files.

Also, are you getting an errors in your error log? It is also possible that you are missing the required php image resizing functions.

Regards,

Andy

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
www.iwebsolutions.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

Hi again - thanks for your input. I don't *think* it's a problem with PHP because the existing (previous) images are still fine, it's just new ones being added that don't work. (Unless ... does the resizing happen on the fly when the images are uploaded? If so I could see that part of the upload failing silently ... guess it's time to dig out the log file and see if there are any errors.)

Hi @jrdixey

The resizing does happen on the fly but when requested on the frontend like on the product listing / details pages so it might be at this point it fails and then falls back to the placeholder.

Regards,

Andy

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
www.iwebsolutions.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

Hi Andy - I think image resizing is not the issue, then, since that would affect all of the images on the site, and only newly uploaded images are exhibiting this problem.

OK I modified the rights to the /var and /var/cache folders to 777. Also commented out the first line of /media/.htaccess as is mentioned in several places as the fix for this issue.