cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install security patch .SH files in Windows?

How do I install security patch .SH files in Windows?

Looking everywhere can't seem to find out how to update the security patches in windows? Any help?

Web Developer/Marketing Expert
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do I install security patch .SH files in Windows?

You start playing around with Cygwin and the Gnu Unix utilities for Windows so you can run a Linuxoid shell environment on Windows. The git utilities are also supposed to have a *nix shell environment as well.

For Cygwin, you may have to re-run the Cygwin setup utility and go select the patch utility package for installation in the Cygwin environment.

Or install Virtualbox, create a Linux VM, and go native environment development.

The other option is to read the patch files => - is removal, + is addition and manually apply the patches using a programming text editor or php IDE.

Is there any reason  not to run a Ubuntu Live CD/DVD and then patch from a Linux command line from there?

Or else if you already have a Linux machine, copy the files to that using FileZilla or some such and patch them, then copy them back.

I'm betting a Live DVD is best because you can operate on the folder directly (after making the usual full backups of the files and database.

Sounds ok, you'll just have to try it.

Personally, I find running Magento on Windows to be an annoying complication that has knock-on effects later down the road. I prefer developing on Windows, and installing and running Magento on its native OS which is Linux . Linux runs well on a VirtualBox VM which gives me the best of both Windows AND Linux. Between Mac and Linux for the test server, things just go easier.

HI, 

Can you please guide me how to setup VM on Windows 10 and setup environment please.