cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we really need catalog prices excluding tax? Prices incl. tax need to vary depending on rate.

Do we really need catalog prices excluding tax? Prices incl. tax need to vary depending on rate.

Hey,

and thanks in advance for your help.

Consider a price excluding tax of, let's say, 20$ and the merchant wants this price to be fixed for every customer. But different tax rates apply. He wants them added on top. So for one customer it's a tax rate of maybe 10% and he will pay 22$. Another falls under a tax rate of 20% and will have to pay 24$.

I looked at http://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/tax/guidelines-eu.html and it says to set "Catalog Prices: Including Tax" although both countries in the example have different tax rates. Now everybody pays the same, but the tax portion varies, right?

But on the merchants request we went with "Catalog Prices: Excluding Tax" and add the tax on top.

But is there another way? 

Our goal is to respond to the Magento warning: "To apply the discount on prices including tax and apply the tax after discount, set Catalog Prices to Including Tax." I encounter calculation problems and the warning proves right. But what if "set Catalog Prices to Including Tax" is not an option? Or is it?

Regards,

Micha

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Do we really need catalog prices excluding tax? Prices incl. tax need to vary depending on rate.

You have to enable cross-border trade prices, well-described in the following part of M2 documentation: https://docs.magento.com/m2/ee/user_guide/tax/tax-cross-border-price.html

Basically that would allow you have a consistent price for all countries

Re: Do we really need catalog prices excluding tax? Prices incl. tax need to vary depending on rate.

Hi Micha,

You can create the Customer Tax Class and assign all those customers under that class and define the Tax Rule for them.

I believe this is the best way to levy the exact Tax from this individual customer.

Found the above suggestion helpful, hit the "Kudos" & Accept as Solution!

Thank you,
Rohan D.
Free & Premium Magento 2 Extensions