I wanted to do a magento package from the extension I made, but I couldn't.
My first problem was that the Package Extensions option in the Admin was failing to compile the package. I checked the gzip extension in php, permissions everything and could not move forward. But I find that the var/connect dir has some leftover TAR files, where the package.xml is generated and the files copied in.
So I repackaged that to TGZ (because Magento Connect did not want to accept TAR the file).
I googled all day and tried a lots of things without any success for this error:
"An error occurred during upload to channel MagentoConnect: Unable to communicate with the Packages Repository gateway - malformed response."
This was strange, while I was following the 'official' packageingmagentoextensions6_0.pdf, which stated to use Channel as 'community' on page 4. AND 'Community' on page 5. S I tried to change the Channel in 'Community' in the package.xml and soon I got 'Unable to save version.', which hinted me, that the magentoconnect.com wants to have it wuth Uppercase first.
Meanwhile I tried to upload that TGZ file to my magento install and that accepted it as lowercase, otherwise I got 'Community Channel not installed'.
I double checked the installed packages from connect use lowercase.
Also: I found several options what to use for 'user' field in the package.xml. I cannot see the original username at any of the profile settings page. I can see my email (somewhere I saw that it requires the username, which I log in to magentoconnect, but that is the email!). I tried it with the MAG*, which is my ID, BUT I found in some tutorials that it is a 'readable' username, so I guess it is the initially added username field.
I checked: all the version number, stability, licence, licence URL, ... whatever is the same at package.xml and also at the extension handling patrt on magentoconnect.
Does anyone has any idea what to check now? How can I package and upload my extension correctly???
Well... Just realized, that this case the original error message should be because a network/gateway error and my package should be OK... am I right? (In that case the 'community' is OK for channel...)
Same plight here. Extension naming, username, license are all same. Still the error . An error occurred during upload to channel MagentoConnect: Unable to communicate with the Packages Repository gateway - malformed response
I tried the options given here
Still no luck!. Any pointers on this would really help.
I gave up trying to upload an alpha release. I finally got the extension packed with a new installation without problems. And then I could diff the one I made and the generated one. Surprise! They were all the same :Facepalm:
However I found an article describing that the versioning is according semver.org, which states that alpha sould be 1.0.0-alpha, but if I added that postfix the ilename became My_Ext-1.0.0-alpha.tgz, which was not OK for the version upload.
So finally I uploaded as stable 1.0.0, which is a lie, but went throught this whole messy packaging process.
Yes, I've tried ALL the google search results at the first 10 result pages. I did this ALL week, uploaded more than 100 times to check if I did the packaging well.
If I have some spare time I'll do a package tester, that gives a nice error result back