cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backorder when I don't show Out of Stock Products in my shop

Backorder when I don't show Out of Stock Products in my shop

Hello all, I don't want to show out of stock items in my shop. So globally I set the parameter to only show inventory that is in stock. However, there is a small selection of items I would like to make available to back order. I've gone in at product level and checked the Available for Back order but this doesn't have the affect of making that Product live on the site again.

Is this possible or does any one have any ideas of how to make the above work?

Regards

G

1 REPLY 1

Re: Backorder when I don't show Out of Stock Products in my shop

This is actually a feature of Magento.
Setting Display out of stock products to No only hides them from the category list pages and the search results page.
The product page is actually still available.
Starting with CE 1.9.1 there is even a message under the config setting  saying Products will still be shown by direct product URLs.
And this is actually a good thing.
This way search engines don't register a lot of 404 pages when your products get out of stock.
I don't see the harm in leaving it like that. The customer cannot order them anyway.
If you want a product not to be available at all in your store you have to mark it as disabled or set it's visibility to Not visible individually or remove its association to the websites from the websites tab on the admin product edit page.