cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Categories vs attributes

Categories vs attributes

Hello,

I have to setup a new shop and I have one request for which I am trying to find the best configuration option.

The way the products are organized into main menu (2-3 levels) should be the same way the products should be filtered on layered navigation. The current setup is to "duplicate" the structure both in categories and in attributes.

Eg: Products organized by color, Products organized by type, Products organized by manufacturer, product organized by a certain ingredient.

basically I should be able to have all the categories and subcategories into both main menu and as well to be able to filter the products (on browsing by category) by the same criterias, on layered navigation.

As I said the current way to do this is by duplicating the entire structure: I have both same categories and same attributes, so the merchant should have care to set both category and attribute for the same thing...

What would be an optimal way to do this ?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Categories vs attributes

@cbichis

In Magento, there is functionality to remove attribute from layer navigation. So you may use that functionality to not including that into the layer navigation.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

Re: Categories vs attributes

I dont want to hide attributes from layered navigation. I just want a solution to not be forced to duplicate attributes with categories. Because the menu has the same hierarchy (shaped now in categories) as the attributes.