cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large file digital download e-commerce?

Large file digital download e-commerce?

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a company that will be offering large digital downloads (potentially 100gb+) and I'm in the search for an commerce platform to dive into.

We'd need to perform some file processing on the back end once a customer has put an order in.

At its most basic, the type of processing would be zipping up a selection of files based on the order details, and its most complex we'd ideally be able to perform some custom file editing (which we're currently doing manually via python). Then presenting the results as a download. 

Does this sound like something Magento is capable of? (Obviously additional development to implement features is expected, I'd assume).

Is there a software stack that in combination can handle this with Magento?

Ecommerce platforms are pretty out of my depth currently and I'm struggling to find information on the right path to take with this journey.

I'm hoping to not have to build too much from scratch (i.e the basic commerce side of things), but to be able to implement features into an existing system. Am I in the right place for that?

Thanks a lot for any advice, it is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Large file digital download e-commerce?

Need cover art for your next release? Learn all the correct album cover art sizes, dimensions and format required for digital stores like Spotify and Apple.

Thanks a lot for the relevant info. I have the same issue and didn't even think there was still someone around to share some up-to-date information.

As for software stacks, Magento can work well with a few different combinations. You might want to consider options like LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stacks, depending on what you're comfortable with and what fits your technical requirements. Since you mentioned not wanting to start from scratch, going with an existing system like Magento is a smart move. It gives you a strong foundation for your e-commerce needs, so you can focus on adding in the specific features you need. By the way, if you're interested in exploring other options, you might want to check out nopCommerce as well. It's another popular e-commerce platform that could be a good fit for your needs. By the way, if you're interested in nopCommerce development, you can check out its capabilities too. It's another popular e-commerce platform that might suit your needs.