cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move from OC for a better B2B experience and more

Move from OC for a better B2B experience and more

Hiya. Ok newbie here. Looking to use Magento 2.2 CE for a very small local business. They currently use OC and we're struggling to get a decent B2B experience and we've discussed moving to Magento but found out now that this is only for the EE version which is a bit annoying. However I do believe that the move to Magento would be beneficial still.

We're looking to create a trade site on Magento to start with and keep the current retail on OC for the moment. The trade site needs:

1. Trade registration requests that are approved in the admin.
2. Quick simple ordering system with running total (as trade will be offered free delivery over £xx)
3. Products to be set per pack (6, 12) instead of individually like the consumer site
4. Option to pay immediately or by invoice

I'm a confident frontend developer and have a good knowledge of editing styles and templates manually so I'll probably use a good free responsive template and make changes manually with combination of markup and CSS.

The plan is then if the trade Magento works well is to move the OC retail site over to Magento too. So my next question is.. can I then create another install of Magento for retail, using the same DB as the existing trade and modify this to provide a retail version? I'm guessing we would need to ensure we future proof the original trade install like creating a trade customer group etc. The retail version will be similar to trade but would have more of a retail journey like fluffy header banners, promos etc etc. Payment and delivery options would be totally different to trade and people wouldn't need to have admin approve their account.

From an admin log in too how would this work? Will they use the admin URL via the trade or the retail URLs?! .. Can they use either and be able to manage both B2B and retail queries from the same login?! I plan on having the following URLs.

https://trade.mysite.com - Trade
https://www.mysite.xom - Retail

Sorry loads of questions but if anyone could help that would be great.
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Move from OC for a better B2B experience and more

Hi Andy,

Magento's B2B feature set is relatively new, and only covers a few major features, so the good news is that the vast majority of really strong B2B sites built on Magento managed without these features. I'd consider Magento Commerce (EE)'s B2B to be an accelerator. It saves you from needing as many extensions and customizations, but it's not the only path, especially if budgets don't all for the paid license. 

B2B sites are notoriously unique anyway. Each is a snowflake. Case in point, you've mentioned some functionality that may require or be enhanced by Magento Extensions (plugins). These include:

- Extensions for Customer Activation/Approval that will allow shoppers to sign up, but then wait in queue to be approved by an admin. https://marketplace.magento.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=approve#q=approve%20customer&idx=m2_cloud_pr...

- Quick Ordering by the shopper (by simply entering a SKU, or by uploading a CSV file): https://marketplace.magento.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=approve#q=quick%20order&idx=m2_cloud_prod_de...

Aside from extensions, some features can be handle natively. For instance, Magento Open Source (CE) includes "offline" payment methods like Purchase Order, Check / Money Order, and Cash on Delivery. While you can adjust what these payments methods are referred to as, they will allow shoppers to order online successfully without providing a credit card or other "online" payment.

In regards to selling quantities in packs, there are multiple ways to solve that need. Some of that comes down to how they handle product data in their other systems (ERP, etc.), and the customer experience that they'd like to provide. For instance, you can have a product that's sold as follows:

Product Name = Widget

SKU = Widget123

Minimum Quantity Allowed in Shopping Cart = 6

Quantity Increment = 6

Price = $2 per unit (so $12 minimum)

Price for 12 or more = $1.80 per unit

Price for 24 or more units = $1.50 per unit

etc.

(these are just examples of available settings)

Another option would be to offer this as a "pack":

Product Name = Widget 6 Pack

SKU = Widget123_6Pack

Price = $12

If possible, I'd recommend avoiding a random free template, and use the template provided by Magento. You should run into fewer conflicts, less risks of bad code, easier upgrades/maintenance, etc.

In regards to a multi-site, yes, you can run more than one site from a single install of Magento. Admins can login, and are granted access to the materials in the Magento Admin that you've granted them permission to. It is indeed one admin, so they'd have access to administrate both stores. It's relatively easy to set different payment and shipping methods and options for the two. What can be a bit trickier, is sharing SKUs between retail and wholesale stores (ie. Selling SKU=widget123 in both) There are some features that work well for this, like pricing and tiered discounts (Customer Group Pricing), and others that are trickier.

Best of luck!

Re: Move from OC for a better B2B experience and more

Hi Andy,

Please check B2BMage, a complete solution for your Magento B2B Store. The only extension which turns your Magento CE into a full fledged B2B site.