cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stocks and Sales Channels (Stores)

Stocks and Sales Channels (Stores)

Hello,

I've been reading up on how Magento incorporates multiple warehouses and believe I understand the concepts of Sources, Stocks, and Sales Channels, but I do have a lingering question...

Can the "virtual, aggregated inventory" of Stocks, present Product availability differently depending on which Sales Channel (Store) that is being viewed in a browser and where the shopper is located?

Let me offer a scenario to illustrate:

My company has inventory located in the UK and in the US.

My company also has two Magento web Stores (one UK and one US) based on one Magento Website (Magento instance). Those two Stores have different URL's.

Shopper A is located in the UK and is viewing the UK Store URL. The site (UK Store) is aware of all inventory, located in the UK and the US. If Shopper A in the UK views a product located in the UK, the status shows as In Stock. If Shopper A in the UK views a product located in the US, the status shows as Backorder 10-Days.

In contrast, Shopper B is located in the US and is viewing the US store URL. The site behavior inverts such that products located in the US show as In Stock, while products located in the UK show as Backorder.

Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Stocks and Sales Channels (Stores)

Yes it can. If you look at the picture in https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/commerce-admin/inventory/basics/sources-stocks.html

It actually kind of explains exactly the scenario you described. In this image the UK website has different amount of stock of a specific product available than the US website. UK website draws the quantity from UK Warehouse + Drop shipper while the US website draws it from US Website + Drop shipper.

Imagine that image simplified without the Drop shipper where UK website draws it just from the UK Warehouse while US website draws it just fromt he US website and that is exactly the scenario you described.

Founder at https://agency418.com

I have seen this diagram, thank you. Your proposed scenario is not exactly where my question would lie. Here is my point of confusion...

If you took this diagram and modified it such that the UK website draws from the UK and US "Stocks" and the US website draws from the US and UK "Stocks", would those websites be able to distinguish where the stock was located such that if a shopper were on the UK website looking at an item located in the US stocks/warehouse, the site would indicate an appropriate lead time/delivery time as compared to if the shopper were on the UK website looking at an item located in the UK?

For example,

Product A is in stock in the US with 20 on hand, and not in stock in the UK.
Customer is visiting on the UK website and shopping for Product A quantity 1.
Product A shows as Backorder 10-Day Lead.

And some minor changes to build another example...

Product A is in stock in the UK with 20 on hand, and not in stock in the US.
Customer is visiting on the UK website and shopping for Product A quantity 1.
Product A shows as In Stock.

Etc...

Well yes, the product could be in stock for UK website and out-of.stock but with enabled backorders on US website or vice versa.

The exact wording like "Backorder 10-Day Lead" might require a few lines of cusotm code though.

Founder at https://agency418.com