cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website switcher like the country/ region selector of apple.com

Website switcher like the country/ region selector of apple.com

I´m planning to build up an international Online-Store with Magento 2.1. Every single country is configured as one Web Site. For each available local language, the country website has got a dedicated Store and one Store View.
Examples:

Web Site -> Store -> Store View
België -> Online Store (BE) -> English
Belgique -> Online Store (BE) -> Français
Deutschland -> Online Store (DE) -> Deutsch
UK -> Online Store (UK) -> English

To switch between the "countries" I want to create a website switcher similar to the "Choose your country" page of the Apple website.

1. What would be the right approach to do this? Should I create a CMS page for the Website switcher? Since the content has to be multilingual: could the page content consist of static HTML or should the site links be generated by a module as part of my custom theme?
    Or should I customize the built-in store switcher of Magento 2?
  2. How can I add a link to the "country switcher" in the header of my theme?
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Website switcher like the country/ region selector of apple.com

Can you state the point of creating multiple websites? You could just create multiple store views with their own language, and currency. 

Magento 2 Auto Language Switcher Extension

Magento 2 Auto Currency Switcher Extension

are two modules that will help you to display content in your customers' local language and prices - in local currencies automatically. 

As for the store switcher on the front end, this is the natural Magento feature that will appear on the front end as soon as you create the store views.

Re: Website switcher like the country/ region selector of apple.com

Store view defaults to the website currency during payment. I want the difference local currency for each store view. So I do have similar setup, created separate website for each currency and also for tax class, tax rules etc. 

@johnpetersdca2 wrote:

Can you state the point of creating multiple websites? You could just create multiple store views with their own language, and currency. 

Magento 2 Auto Language Switcher Extension

Magento 2 Auto Currency Switcher Extension

are two modules that will help you to display content in your customers' local language and prices - in local currencies automatically. 

As for the store switcher on the front end, this is the natural Magento feature that will appear on the front end as soon as you create the store views.