cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configurable Product Limitations

Configurable Product Limitations

Hi All

my site, which has been developed by someone else, is not able to display configurable products that have more than 2500 simple products associated to it

is there a limitation of the number of simple products that can be associated to a configurable product? The developer says that any browser can't handle records more than ~2500 as after server delivers all the records to end users browser, browser has to render it and this is why it is not displaying

the reason for the large number of simple product associations is that my site allows users to configure their product as per the screen shot below

look forward to your feedback

cheers

Scott

screen shot.png

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Configurable Product Limitations

Hi @scott_itf,

That doesn't seem to be correct, there shouldn't be a limit for the number of simple products associated with a configurable product.

However, I haven't associated a configurable product with more than 2500 simple products yet, so I will share this post on Slack and Twitter to see if another member of the community can share his/her opinion about it.

Best regards.

Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

Gabriel

thanks for the response and update :-)

I should have also mentioned that I have a couple of configurable products that have up to 10,000 simple products associated to it, however the majority are much lower

Once you have product that has 4 arms options x 4 base options x 15 upholstery options, etc. the number of products adds up

cheers

Scott

Hi Scott

I haven't hear magento limit for the number of simple products associated with a configurable product. But there are some reason effect to it like limit in PHP or server config if you don't mind I can help you debug without money.

Let me know if any.

Thanks,

Tuan

Migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2

-------
Migrate Magento 1 to 2 with low cost.

Hi Tuan

thank you for your reply and also for your willingness to help debug...very much appreciated

I will be back in touch once I have had a few more replies and discussed with my current developer - if they are not able to assist, I will need all the help can get

cheers

Scott

> The developer says that any browser can't handle records more than ~2500 as after server delivers all the records to end users browser, browser has to render it and this is why it is not displaying

Your developer is right. While there is no enforced limit, Magento does not handle big numbers of associated products efficiently. For example the price data for each associated product is loaded into one big JavaScript object (JSON). And database queries on the product page are another bottleneck, especially if you use the swatches feature.

We have a similar situation but with even higher numbers and are currently working on our own lightweight configurable product type.

The rough concept:

• data for associated products is stored as flat data structure (probably a NoSQL storage): configurable attributes, price rules, skus (add more if needed)
  • optimize data in frontend to not pregenerate data for each combination (for example calculate price on the fly)
  • when a product is ordered, a real simple product based on the selection is created temporarily. This allows us to use all sales features without code changes

This is just to give you an idea that for a use case like yours you will need a customized solution.