cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to from php 5.6 to php7 with a live Magento 2.1.x site

Highlighted
New Contributor

Upgrading to from php 5.6 to php7 with a live Magento 2.1.x site

I was wondering what the implication are when a server PHP version is upgraded from 5.6 to 7.
My ISP manages my dedicated server, and only use PHP5.6 at the moment (will upgrade only in one month) but I need to install Magento 2.1.x now (on PHP 5.6).  Can I Setup my Magento site and then later let my Host upgrade the Server to PHP 7?  Is that possible?  Are there any issues I should be made aware of.?

• CE 2.1
  • magento2
Tags (3)
3 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Upgrading to from php 5.6 to php7 with a live Magento 2.1.x site

Hi Justin,

You will not have any issues with upgrading from php 5.6 to php 7 if you only run Magento 2 on that server. We upgrade our hosted clients running Magento 2 from PHP 5.6 to php 7 all the time and do not see any problems.

Anton Pachkine @ magento2.services : Magento Managed Package. Get your e-commerce health checkup at http://ecommerce.fitness
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Anton, it should be a seamless upgrade path. Just make sure the same pecl extensions are installed, the right php 7 features are enabled for M2, and possibly ioncube support for php 7 if you use any third party extensions that require ioncube support.

Also double check OpCode caching settings to make sure those are optimized as well.

Contributor

Please note Magento 2.x doesn't support php 7.1, use php 7.0