cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error While Installing Extensions

SOLVED

Error While Installing Extensions

Hi everyone,

I found threads where people had similar problems while installing/uninstalling extensions using Magento Connect Manager. I found the general answers to be "chmod your downloader directory to 777" or "just install manually through FTP or SSH", but this is a feature that's been working very well for the past four years, and it suddenly broke a few weeks ago.

Whenever I try to either install or uninstall an extension using Magento Connect Manager, I get errors stating that some directories couldn't be created/deleted.

For example, when trying to install a Bestsellers Extension:

Spoiler
Checking dependencies of packages
Installing package community/Bestseller_products 2.0.0

CONNECT ERROR: Failed to create directory:
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/etc/modules
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Block/Adminhtml/Bestseller/Edit
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Block/Adminhtml/Bestseller/Edit/Tab
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Block/Adminhtml/Bestseller/Edit
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Block/Adminhtml/Bestseller
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Block/Adminhtml/Bestseller
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Block/Adminhtml
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Block/Adminhtml
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Block
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Helper
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Model
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Model/Mysql4/Bestseller
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Model/Mysql4
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Model/Mysql4/Product
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Model/System/Config/Source
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/Model/System/Config/Source
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/controllers/Adminhtml
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/etc
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/etc
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/code/community/CapacityWebSolutions/Bestseller/sql/bestseller_setup
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/design/frontend/base/default/template/bestseller
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/design/frontend/base/default/template/bestseller
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/design/adminhtml/default/default/layout
/home/kemstore/public_html/./app/design/adminhtml/default/default/template/bestseller
Check permissions

When I tried to uninstall an OrdersEraser extension:

Spoiler
Starting to uninstall community/Wyomind_OrdersEraser

CONNECT ERROR: Failed to delete files: /home/kemstore/public_html/downloader/.././app/code/community/Wyomind/Orderseraser/Block/Order/Grid.php
/home/kemstore/public_html/downloader/.././app/code/community/Wyomind/Orderseraser/Model/Observer.php
/home/kemstore/public_html/downloader/.././app/code/community/Wyomind/Orderseraser/Model/Orderseraser.php
/home/kemstore/public_html/downloader/.././app/code/community/Wyomind/Orderseraser/controllers/Adminhtml/OrderseraserController.php
/home/kemstore/public_html/downloader/.././app/code/community/Wyomind/Orderseraser/etc/config.xml
/home/kemstore/public_html/downloader/.././app/code/community/Wyomind/Orderseraser/etc/system.xml
/home/kemstore/public_html/downloader/.././app/etc/modules/Wyomind_Orderseraser.xml
Check permissions

First of all, why do I have those /./ and /.././ within the paths? Does that mean the paths were too long to fit on the error log, or does that have something to do with thte problem?

I've tried playing around with directory/file permissions, and before I go off and do a manual install, I wanted to check with everyone.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Error While Installing Extensions

I solved this thanks to a user named Joseph on Magento StackExchange.

# cd /home/kemstore/public_html
# chown -R apache: .
# find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
# find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

The second line "chown" command did the trick! I guess I had some files and/or directories that had root as the owner, which meant the chmod 644/755 was no longer valid.

FYI - I'm using Bluehost VPS, so I had to use my account name (kemstore) instead of "apache" though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I solved this thanks to a user named Joseph on Magento StackExchange.

# cd /home/kemstore/public_html
# chown -R apache: .
# find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
# find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

The second line "chown" command did the trick! I guess I had some files and/or directories that had root as the owner, which meant the chmod 644/755 was no longer valid.

FYI - I'm using Bluehost VPS, so I had to use my account name (kemstore) instead of "apache" though.

Sorry mods, the post above was mine. Duplicate account Smiley Sad

After installing extension Custom Product Preview I got error.

Fatal error: Class 'Mage_Ultimo_Helper_Cssgen' not found in /home/name/public_html/name2/app/Mage.php on line 547

has problem. Could you solve that for me?

After installing extension Custom Product Preview I got error.

Fatal error: Class 'Mage_Ultimo_Helper_Cssgen' not found in /home/name/public_html/name2/app/Mage.php on line 547

has problem. Could you solve that for me?