cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update magento 1.7 to 1.9

How to update magento 1.7 to 1.9

The Connectmanager show no new updates even after using the look for updates button. But a new 1.9 version is already out and i have only 1.7.

Actually a connection via SSH is no option for me.Someone have a clue why the updates arent shown?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to update magento 1.7 to 1.9

First you should always test your updates in a test area. If you try to upgrade via connect and something goes wrong your site will be done.

It is possible that you don't have your downloaders folder writable or a variety of other reasons. Can you be more specific on the error you are seeing?

Do you have a testing enviroment you can do a trail run first?

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

You should care about data migration, extension migration, design migration. Create the database same as current magento 1.7. Then download magento 1.9.0.1 from Magento Connect. Run the installation of magento 1.9 and choose the database of your old website (magento 1.7.0.2). Take the your theme and skin from magento 1.7 to 1.9. On the other hand, if you are not sure about technical knowledge of migration, try Magento upgrade extension to upgrade magento from 1.7 to 1.9 properly without loosing database.

I have two site Magento. I have upgraded one site from magento 1.7 to 1.8. Now, I want to upgrade the other from magento 1.7 to 1.9 and the first site from magento 1.8 to the magento latest version. Is there same way to upgrade them?

Hi SweenyCr, Magento 2.2 is the latest version of Magento at that time. Magento 2.x is different from Magento 1.x with many change in structure. You should upgrade magento 1.8 to 2.0 with Magento upgrade extension of Lit-Extension. It has one version for magento upgrade 1.9 that support upgrade magento 1.7 to 1.9. Two version of Magento upgrade extension have manything in common. It isnt time-consuming to do two magento upgrade projects.

The upgrade may be hard depending on how many modules and other custom changes you've added to your sites over time.

The other posts here are correct, do the upgrade on a dev or test copy of your site first, then do it on live after you figure out all the errors and fixes

Try upgrading like this -
1) Create a copy of the site to be upgraded, including the database.
2) Upgrade the development copy from step 1, making note of all the errors and subsequent fixes.
3) Take the list of errors/fixes from step 2, and use that to upgrade the live version of the site.
4) Hopefully all the fixes worked and now your live site is upgraded.

I know that is vague but every store is different.

A few days ago, met same problem with you.

You may follow below instruction.

https://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/21761/magento-upgrade-from-1-7-to-1-9

Hi 

You had posted asking for support on upgrade from 1.7 to 1.9. Were you able to accomplish the upgrade job. Let us know if you need support, we will be happy to support.

@SweenyCr wrote:

I have two site Magento. I have upgraded one site from magento 1.7 to 1.8. Now, I want to upgrade the other from magento 1.7 to 1.9 and the first site from magento 1.8 to the magento latest version. Is there same way to upgrade them?

Depending on the customization s done and the plugin/ extensions used, the effort involved varies. But ideally if you are upgrading from 1.7 to 2.0  or latest version, it would need approximately about 250 to 300 man hrs. We can commit on it after we see your system. 

@SweenyCr wrote: