cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions issue installing magento

Permissions issue installing magento

I'm attempting to get Magento CE up and running so that our company can evaluate it, but having some difficulty with the install.

This is a fresh CentOS 7 install. I have the LAMP stack installed and running without issue. Verified that php/apache work by placing a phpinfo file in the root (/var/www/html) webdir and I can indeed navigate to it and have the phpinfo function execute as expected. I installed Magento 1.9 into the webroot and followed the install instructions for setting directory permissions. When I navigate to the Magento configuration page, it prompts me to accept the software license agreement and pick my localization options. However when it gets to the configuration step, it keeps saying that none of the directories are writable:

• Path "/var/www/html/app/etc" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/dhl" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/dhl/logo.jpg" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/customer" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/xmlconnect" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/xmlconnect/system" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/xmlconnect/system/ok.gif" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/xmlconnect/original" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/xmlconnect/original/ok.gif" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/xmlconnect/custom" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/xmlconnect/custom/ok.gif" must be writable.
  • Path "/var/www/html/media/downloadable" must be writable.

I have checked everything that I can think of. Apache is running under the 'apache' user, and I have set the apache user as the owner of everything in the webroot. Since this is an internal server, I even tried giving full r/w/x permissions to all users just to see if that fixed it, and I still have this issue. I went ahead and rescursively set the chmod permissions to 750, so all files and directories in /var/www/html looks like this right now:

drwxrwxr-x. 14 apache root 4096 Nov  2 11:45

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Permissions issue installing magento

Try to run again the following commands:

sudo chown -R apache:apache /var/www/html/

sudo chmod 775 -R /var/www/html/
-------Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - enhances the functionality of default admin web interface, speeds up inventory management, automates daily tasks.

Hello,

We have found that Magento will complain about not being able to write to a path if no such path exists (even if the webserver is fully capable of creating said path itself).  You may have to manually create the media/ and/or var/ folders (while allowing the proper permissions).

I gave permissions .Still i am unable to resolve this.Where i am going wrong?

Try to disable SElinux by typing:   setenforce 0

It will disable it temporarily for the current session, but if the command works you can disable SElinux permanently in the config (or set the right policy)