I am just starting out with Magento and I have run into a snag. I am hoping someone can help.
I have the test website loaded https://clutchwerkz.com
When I try to open a page within the website/category/etc...say i want to open Accessories>Eyewear it returns a redirect error and my url looks like this.
If I remove all the ~clutchwe/ and instert index.php/eyewear.hml after the clutchwerkz.com/ of the url it redirects just fine. but the URL looks like this. https://clutchwerkz.com/~clutchwe/index.php/men.html
How do i fix this. I want to be able to go to say MEN>VIEW ALL MEN and have it go to the right page.
I have checked the Config >WEB> Redirects and have it set to YES
I have cleared the cache and reindexed all the info
Thanks for the help!
Solved! Go to Solution.
nevermind, didn't have hidden files allowed on the file manager...
still looking for a resolution...
It had to have been deleted by someone or was never uploaded.
Is there an htacess.sample in the root directory? Rename that to .htaccess
Thanks for the response, the .htaccess is there
So I am still stumped
Found several articles that say put code in the .htaccess, or uncomment the "RewriteBase /magento/" and replace it with "Rewritebase / "
But I feel there is something else going on that I am missing...possibly with my sql?
i also have two .htaccess files in the root
Which one should be there? And which one does the text storefront use?
The htaccess.sample will not be active.
Try these little debugging tricks first.
Rename your .htaccess to .htaccess2 - test the site.
In your MySQL Empty/Truncate core_url_rewrite table from Database. Now reindex your catalog. (Only do this if the site is a development site.)
In your Admin panel visit System -> Web -> Search Engine Optimisation -> Use Web Server Rewrites -> Yes
These more than likely will not fix your issue - but will help me narrow down the cause.
Please post your results.
Thanks for the reply. Change the .htaccess results in an error saying I have an invalid version of PHP. This would not allow me to use the site (understandable) so renaming the .htacess2, to .htaccess allows the site to come back up, so if you were thinking it was reading the .htaccess.sample....you were correct it was reading the right file. (I assume that is what you were testing to make sure it was not reading hte wrong file)
When I empty the core_url_rewrites then reindex the site/catalog I run into the same problem, when I try to click on Accessories>Eyewear, it sends me to https://clutchwerkz.com/~clutchwe/~clutchwe/~clutchwe/~clutchwe/~clutchwe/~clutchwe/~clutchwe/~clutc...
I still don't understand why it adds the ~/clutchwe even on the base url...
I read an obscure line in a stack overflow or somewhere that you shouldn't do the install with the SSL check boxes, etc...could that be causing a problem?
Thanks for the help!!!!
Hello, are you on your own VPS?
To me it sounds like there is an issue with the hosting setup. If you are on a shared hosting please contact your hosting provider.
This will check to see if your server is compatible with Magento. Its a strange issue which may be an issue with your server setup. I cant guarantee this but this is where i would continue debugging.
So I solved the problem...
After tons of reading, countless stackoverflows, reddit post, blog articles, calling my friends who are web developers, brother in law who has a web business I got no where. So, being almost confident this is a problem I caused while doing the initial installation I decided to go for broke, here is what i did.
Remember this is a development enviornment that I have on a shared hosting platform, if you are doing this on a private dedidcated box, I am not sure if this will work. (yes I know the website is outward facing but this is the easiest way I can get my friends around the world testing my websites)
1. Went into my cPanel
2. Logged into File Manager (Make sure you have "show hidden files checked" when you log in)
3. Go to your public_html where you should have installed Magento
4. Select everything, I mean EVERYTHING...and delete the crap out of it
5. Log into myPHPadmin
6. Select the database that has your Magento install
7. Drop every single table in the database
8. Download a clean version of Magento
9. Use your FTP (filezilla) not the one in the cPanel to upload magento to your Public_html folder
10. Download your sample data folder, or reuse the one you downloaded
11. Log back into your myPHPadmin
12. Go to the Import tab at the top, note make sure you are in the the correct database the one you are going to install all the magento stuff into
13. Click on Browse, and browse to the magento sample data folder and the sql install script
14. Click Go
15. Now go bak to your FTP (Filezilla) and copy the contents of the Media folder *****MINUS THE .htaccess file***** to public_html/media folder
16. Go to your URL/index.php/install in your browser, and go through the install process again just as you normally would
17. Once you go through the install go into the backend, and reindex everything, and clear the image caches, etc...
Now i have one slight glitch where the front page/home page swatches at the bottom are not showing up but they show up when you click on them...I didn't go through the Media>Skin>rwd>default whatever it is, and I thin that is the problem...I will fool around with it later.
Long story short...the devil is in the details, make sure you install magento correctly on a shared hosting platform through cPanel correctly! Like I thought, I screwed up the install, just was hoping there was a way around it without having to do everything from scratch.
Glad you hear the problem is resolved.