I am using Magento Community, and have been able to build my e-commerce site with reasonable ease (I am a newbee). That said, I had a third party install Magento, and for some reason I cannot find my media/import folder. I have made reapeated requests to the folks who did the installation to show me where the folder is, but they are ignoring me. Can you help me find the folder?
Solved! Go to Solution.
First of all, I want to ask you a question: Have you set up your Magento site with sample data or not?
If you set up your Magento site without sample data, there is no import folder in media/import, you must create import folder.
In Linux environment, you should set privileges - chmod (770 / 660) for import folder which has been created.
Thank you so much for your response. The 3rd party who installed Magento did not include sample data. First, please forgive my lack of knowledge, and second, please accept my appreciation for your input. In response to your suggestion, I logged onto my website host and examined the folders contained in my cPanel file manager. I found two folders labeled "media". The path for one is "home/petadore --> download --> magento --> media" (permission for the download folder is 0755 , and there is no import folder). The path to the second media folder is "public_html --> media" (permission for the media folder is 0755 , and there is no import folder). Do I add the import folder to the the public_html/media directory or the home/petadore/download/magento/media directory? For permission, do I simply type "0770/0660) in the column labeled "perms"? Once again, thank you for being patient with my naivety!
You try the second public_html/media. If not ok, you should capture your folder tree, I will help you again.
Thanks so much! I executed your suggestions. I have successfully used ftp to upload my website images to the media/import folder. Next, I will attempt a bulk upload of my products (including images) using a csv file.
You're welcome! If my answer resolved your problem, you should accept it as a solution . If anyone meet again, they will easily find our solution here. I think when you try to use import products Magento, you will have new problems. You can contact me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Despite your fine efforts, I am still having problems. Product images placed in the folder are not being imported when I use a csv file. Here is what I have done:
1) Set up the media/import folder in the public_html directory with permissions set as per your advice (770/660)
2) Up I uploaded product images to media/image folder using FileZilla. Image files are jpg systematically named: sku#.jpg (e.g., 17001.jpg)
3) Created a csv file containing all required product info. In the image column, image files are named /sku#.jpg (e.g., /17001.jpg)
4) I imported the cssv file into Magento using import under System-->Import/Export-->Import. I ran "Check Data" to ensure the csv file is valid. The file is 100% valid (0 errors). Import of the file resulted in the product appearing Catalog-->Manage Products, but with no images.
5) I then created a Dataflow Profile called "Bulk Image Import" according to the instructions found in this link https://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/tipstricks/the-procedure-of-magento-images-import/
6) I then attempted to import the csv using DataFlow-Profiles-->Bulk Image Import-->Upload File-->Run Profile. The Run Profile action gives me an error, and the file is not imported. Here is a link to the Run Profile results http://petadore-essentials.com/index.php/admin/system_convert_gui/run/id/3/key/c750d936eb6efb49fb8e5.... In particular the error message is "! Skip import row, is not valid value ""for field "type". Note that this csv file is100% valid when a "Check Data" is executed under simple Import ( System-->Import/Export-->Import)
From this description, can yo diagnose what I am doing incorrectly? Once again, your patience and valuable input are very much appreciated!