cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apache vs Nginx

Apache vs Nginx

Hi Everyone, I am developing a multivendor platform using Magento 2.3 community edition and marketplace extension. I am not sure if I should use an apache or nginx web server ? Are are any particular benefits of choosing one over the other ? Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Apache vs Nginx

@aryaascien55b1 

Nginx is now becoming a dominant web server and hosts around 75% of all the web servers worldwide. Unlike Apache, it follows an event-driven approach and can handle multiple requests within a single processing thread. It is because of this reason the Nginx web server is widely used as a reverse proxy and load balancer to manage the high-traffic.

Why to go with Nginx:

Even though Apache and Nginx both give a tough fight, there are certain factors which makes Nginx more influential and dominant over Apache. They are,

• Event-driven approach
  • Lightweight and faster architecture
  • Performs 2.5 times faster in fetching static content
  • Speed and quick request interpretation (essential to e-commerce sites)
  • Advanced media streaming modules

Further, Nginx can manage thousands of concurrent requests and owns the capacity to power 50% of the traffic sites on the web.

Here you can find more

https://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/175438/nginx-or-apache-for-magento-2-x

https://blog.magemint.com/2019/11/22/know-the-differences-which-stands-out-apache-or-nginx-for-magen...

https://www.aitoc.com/blog/nginx-vs-apache-vs-litespeed-for-magento-2/

I will recommend Nginx. 

Manish Mittal
https://www.manishmittal.com/

Nginx is better than Apache due to Nginx has since surpassed Apache in popularity due to its lightweight footprint and its ability to scale easily on minimal hardware. Nginx excels at serving static content quickly, has its own robust module system, and can proxy dynamic requests off to other software as needed.

For large scale nginx is better.

Magento Pro

Hello aryaascien55b1,

I hope you are doing well!

You can check the particular benefits of both web servers from below. It will help you in choosing one over the other,

The main difference between Apache and NGINX lies in their design architecture. Apache uses a process-driven approach and creates a new thread for each request. At the same time, NGINX uses an event-driven architecture to handle multiple requests within one thread.

The HTTP or Apache server is an open-source, cross-platform web server known as “httpd.” NGINX is more popular than Apache Web Server now due to various factors. Apache Servers static content using the file base method while Nginx servers static resources without using PHP.

Apache Supports all Unix systems, including Linux & BSD also fully supports MS-Windows, while Nginx almost supports Unix OS and Windows partially. Nginx has a lightweight structure and much faster architecture than that of Apache.

I hope this information will be helpful for you in choosing the web server.

------------------------

Regards,

Rex M

When deciding between Apache and NGINX web servers, it can be challenging as they each have their own strengths. Apache offers a wide range of modules, while NGINX excels in scalability and speed. The key difference lies in their architectures: Apache creates a thread per request, while NGINX's event-driven architecture handles multiple requests within a single thread, resulting in better overall performance.

Both Apache and NGINX are secure and reliable, with various security tools available to protect against DDoS attacks. Both offer community support and documentation for users.

Ultimately, the choice between Apache and NGINX depends on individual preferences and specific requirements. Understanding the differences in architecture, performance, configuration, and module handling can guide users in making an informed decision.
Also, Open litespeed is a great server to opt for, if you are looking for uptime and faster speed. A good server with a reliable hosting provider can make your site's performance enhance. Managed cloud hosting along with your desired server can help you improve the performance of your website.

I get a laugh at all the people that use the marketing buzz words like "lightweight" and such.

Yet after many many years of experience, and thousands of deployments, I'd have to say Apache is very stable, and very easy to work with. It has many native options that you don't have to jump through hoops to get working.

Is NGINX slightly faster, yes. On average about 100 to 150ms from our A/B testing. [Exact stack cloned, then web server changed.] Can this make a huge difference if you are a super huge retailer, perhaps. Yet, at that point, you should be using a server farm with Global LB so the point is moot.

Personally, I also like Apache, and recommend it for most users; however, our customers have a choice during deployments for their web server process.

In custom situations, we normally use Apache. For example, using pass-through Cloudflare IP options, and the ability for Matomo Analytics to do bulk log imports is just out-of-the-box working for Apache. 

In the end, I'd suggest testing both, and don't be conditioned to favor one particular application. Stay flexible! On our stacks, you can easy switch back and forth in a few seconds. This way you have a choice at all times. 

Good Luck!