cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Collaboration With Magento Open Source II

Community Collaboration With Magento Open Source II

Hello All,

I hope this finds you well. I'm getting in touch to kindly ask you for a second opinion on Magento 2. Please can you advise whether the statement below is true in your opinion:

'It is widely accepted by the community that Magento 2 Open Source branch was not stable enough for production use until version 2.2 which was released in October 2017."

'Security updates will continue to be made available for the Magento 1.9 branch for the foreseeable future.'

Thank you in advance for your time to answer my question. I do appreciate your help on that.

Best regards,

Ewa Zdunska

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Community Collaboration With Magento Open Source II

Hi @ewa_zdunska,

I guess is not simple to answer in a few lines.

For example, you said "that Magento 2 Open Source branch was not stable enough for production". Whay it means stable enough? How did you made the comparision?

I understand what that phrase means but we need to be sure.

There was a huge improvent since Magento 2.2 and a lot of bugs were fixed. That's true. You can see that on GitHub. Also, since 2.2 there were a lot of changes (for example the API coverage percent of the code).

So... yes, since 2.2 there was a quantity & quality improve of the platform. That's true.

The second part, the security updates for Magento 1.x isn't related with Magento 2. I mean, mostly all the open source code receives upgrades and patches and that's ok. Only with propietary and close source code you can't see what's happen there.

Magento 1, as any other open source project, will receive security patches until the EOL of that version but I won't say is a direct relation between Magetno 2 and the patches of Magento 1.

Maybe if you can expain a little bit more why you are asking this you could get better answers.

(my 2 cents)

Dear Damian,

Thank you for this. I appreciate having had the opportunity to get your opinion. Just to give you a bit of insight... I accepted the proposal for a completely new site from one web development company in June 2017. They promised the latest version of Magento.... and bulit my e-commerce on Magento 1.9.3.3. I came accross this article here: http://nextendweb.com/magento-2-0/  and I started getting worried after reading it.

When I raised this point with the web development company, they got back to me with these statements: 'It is widely accepted by the community that Magento 2 Open Source branch was not stable enough for production use until version  2.2, which was released in October 2017.'
'Security updates will continue to be made available for the Magento 1.9 branch for the foreseeable future'. I needed to double check this with someone, therefore I asked for a second opinion. 
I wish you all the best.
Kind regards,
Ewa Zdunska

Hi @ewa_zdunska,

To be honest I don't think we can get a final answer or the best answer.
This was a hot topic for a long time so I can understand your question. Also, you need to understand that is easy to talk today because we have all the information.

From second or perhaps third quarter, Magento 2 is the natural option. Even with the possible problems.

Is true, at least some part true, that before Magento 2.2 there were some situations that has allowed to think if Magento 1 was (or not) the best option.

At that moment, I guess, the answer could be related with:

• Budget
  • Time to be on production
  • How much time you will be online (project lifetime)

If your idea is to be here for a long time, even using Magento 2.1 should be your option.

For those of Us who were here when Magento 1 arise, it was hard to accept because before Magento 1 there was a gap between the small solutions and the enterprise ones.

Magento 1 had have filled that gap so, in my opinion, with Magento 2, the comparison with Magento 1 was really really strong.

Of course, there were issues (at the beginning) with Magento 2 but Magento 1 got 10 years to convert it into a stable platform. No so many people remember the problems with Magento 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 (or the huge change with Magento 1.4).

But, again, if your idea is to be here (online) for a long time, it could risky but using Magento 2.1 should be your option because you won't be building only for today .

In the other hand, is true that Magento 1 will continue receiving security patches. But also is true that at some point you will need to change your platform because, at least, technical limitations.

For example, the PHP support (I guess we will see some solution but the issue will be always there).
Magento 2 is still under a continuous and heavy development so most of the technical decisions will last longer. Also the community collaborates a lot.

As I said, you can't expect the final answer. This is just an opinion and is not fair without having some information.
I guess, because what you've said, my preference could have been Magento 2.1 knowing 2.2 will be launched at the end of that year.

If you have your store up&running, maybe you can try to recover as much as you can of your investment and start to planing the next step (this time, trying to get more information).

(Try to be in touch with local meetups and events to listen more voices and opinions about this kind of topics)

(my 2 cents)