cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2

Cost to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2

Hi all, please excuse my naivete, I'm the digital marketing manager for bdsparts.com. We have roughly 50,000 SKUs on the site and are currently operating on Magento 1.9.3.7. I understand the importance to migrate to Magento 2 and that it is inevitable, however, I was not expecting the quote of 50k from my developer. Now he hasn't submitted a full proposal once he looks over all of our customizations and extensions to see if there are Magento 2 options but I'm interested to hear from others that have made the transition what your cost and time to deploy was? Is my developer giving me an accurate quote?

Thanks,

Albert

3 REPLIES

Re: Cost to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2

Hi there,

50k looks like a very approximate gestimation which probably has a big safety margin for your developer. 

Ask them to prepare an itemized proposal with all components which sum to the total:

- Initial data migration (50000 items, 170 categories): $$

- Final data migration (up to 200000 orders, 200000 customers): $$

- Custom design creation (or third party theme): $$

- Custom responsive design integration into M2 (or theme customization): $$

- Extension 1 license and installation: $$

- Extension 2 license and installation: $$

- Customization A re-implementation in M2: $$

- Customization B re-implementation in M2: $$

- Integration I re-implementation in M2: $$

- Integration II re-implementation in M2: $$

When we do a proposal this way, there are not many questions about the total cost of the project and our clients can pick optional extensions and customizations they want and see the total updated. This way, both you and your developer are protected because you will know exactly for what and how much you paid and your developer will know what was paid for and what will be extra if you will ask for something else later.

Hope this helps.

Anton Pachkine @ magento2.hosting : Magento Managed Package. Get your e-commerce health checkup at http://ecommerce.fitness

Thanks, @Finestshops! Yes this was just their first estimate and they plan on providing an itemized list like you suggested, which will undoubtedly help clarify the scope of the project. From what I've read it seems like an accurate estimate for folks that have gone through it but reassurance from the Magento Community will keep my mind at ease when I pitching this to the higher-ups in the company.

I wonder why 50k? Is your store highly customized? Are they planning to migrate M1 theme as well?

Setting aside a custom theme, if you are OK with the default M2 Luma theme I would not expect a quote of more than $4k. Number of products, orders etc do not matter, it is all done by automatic script anyway.