If we installed a Magento 2.0.0 store via the downloadable zip, but we set the root web directory to /pub (as is recommended for security), this removes the ability to use the web based update feature in the admin panel.
What is the method via the command line to upgrade to 2.0.1? Or do we have to download the zip and upgrade by overwriting files by unzipping? Not sure what the recommended approach is. Thanks.
You should be able to go to "Admin->System->Web setup wizard->System upgrade" and follow steps as specified here
Unfortunately, if you install Magento with a web root of "/pub", this is not an option. This is the recommended install for security according to the docs. The downside is the web based updater is no longer available. When you try to go to it, it goes to a 404.
So I went ahead and untarred the Magento 2.0.1 tar.gz file in the web directory, then I ran:
bin/magento setup:upgrade bin/magento cache:flush
Is this the approved way to upgrade a Magento store that has its root web directory set to /pub, and was initially installed from the distributed tar.gz file?
As a follow up, it seems the correct way to upgrade in this case is to use "composer update", first updating the composer.json file to change the base package version from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1. Reference:
Hi Rob. Do you think this unpack/upgrade/flush + .json edit would work for an install not in /pub that I can't get the updater working with?
The accepted way is to run "composer update" after editing the composer.json file in the root Magento directory. See this thread for how I got it to work if you run into an error:
Thanks for replying. I've tried tweaking the .json file as suggested, but I'm still getting the same issue: I run the upgrade tool, select a Magento version, start the readiness check and get a component dependency conflict. Having done lots of searching, it would appear that I'm not the only one to be having the problem, but I guess it's usually the case when new functionality rolls out to a wider audience...
Yes, it does seem to be a bug. If you have ssh, try running the "composer update" command via ssh in the root directory of Magento after adjusting the line in composer.json and see if that works. You may need to create a few .gitignore files for the process to complete.