cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2.1.9 Installation error 500

Re: Magento 2.1.9 Installation error 500

@Damian Culotta,

Thanks for the pointer.

The guideline there while still updating content in production mode is: "To make files and directories writable so you can update components and upgrade the Magento software."  It suggested running the following command in one's Magento root directory:

chmod -R u+w .

And to make code files and directories read-only, it suggested navigating to the Magento root directory and running this command:

php bin/magento deploy:mode:set production

The above command should be followed by this:

find app/code var vendor pub/static app/etc generated/code generated/metadata var/view_preprocessed \( -type f -or -type d \) -exec chmod u-w {} \; && chmod o-rwx app/etc/env.php && chmod u+x bin/magento

1) Now, I want to make fully sure that I understood the instructions given there correctly, before I proceed, to avoid exacerbating the issue I already have. So, will it be fine, if I first run the following command, as I'm still customizing the site, adding categories and products, as well as working on the theme? Must I run this command whenever I want to add products?

chmod -R u+w .

2) Will it be fine, if I make all the files and folders read-only, immediately after I finish customizing the site, adding categories and products, as well as working on the theme by running the following two commands?

php bin/magento deploy:mode:set production
find app/code var vendor pub/static app/etc generated/code generated/metadata var/view_preprocessed \( -type f -or -type d \) -exec chmod u-w {} \; && chmod o-rwx app/etc/env.php && chmod u+x bin/magento