cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2.4 on Centos 7 Install - Blank Screen

Magento 2.4 on Centos 7 Install - Blank Screen

So after abandoning MAMP and other approaches, I used Virtual Box on my Mac to create a Centos 7 environment with MariaDB 10.4.26 to recreate nearly exactly what's running my Nexcess live site. This lets me more closely mimic in dev what I have on Nexcess.

Problem remains the same as when I loaded with MAMP on my Mac Linux: the site installs completely (no errors), yet when I go to both backend and frontend url's, I get a blank screen. 

One possible cause is that Magento doesn't create a symlink from ~/public_html to ~/public_html/pub. I've tried creating that symlink but am having trouble - I get the "already exists" error. 

public_html]# ln -s /var/www/test.mydomain.com/public_html/pub/ /var/www/test.mydomain.com/public_html/
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/var/www/test.mydomain.com/public_html/pub’: File exists

Clearly, it needs to reach /pub to see the index.php file, yet calling magento by adding /pub/index.php to the url was something I tried, even though that's not the answer to fix this....

Is this my cause? Is there another reason why I'm getting a blank screen? Can someone give me the correct syntax for the symlink, and/or another possible cause/solution?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Magento 2.4 on Centos 7 Install - Blank Screen

@SJ_Med my Loyola wrote:

So after abandoning MAMP and other approaches, I used Virtual Box on my Mac to create a Centos 7 environment with MariaDB 10.4.26 to recreate nearly exactly what's running my Nexcess live site. This lets me more closely mimic in dev what I have on Nexcess.

Problem remains the same as when I loaded with MAMP on my Mac Linux: the site installs completely (no errors), yet when I go to both backend and frontend url's, I get a blank screen. 

One possible cause is that Magento doesn't create a symlink from ~/public_html to ~/public_html/pub. I've tried creating that symlink but am having trouble - I get the "already exists" error. 

public_html]# ln -s /var/www/test.mydomain.com/public_html/pub/ /var/www/test.mydomain.com/public_html/
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/var/www/test.mydomain.com/public_html/pub’: File exists

Clearly, it needs to reach /pub to see the index.php file, yet calling magento by adding /pub/index.php to the url was something I tried, even though that's not the answer to fix this....

Is this my cause? Is there another reason why I'm getting a blank screen? Can someone give me the correct syntax for the symlink, and/or another possible cause/solution?

Thanks.

I am also having the same Issue. Did you get any solution.

I haven't gotten any solution to this, but haven't had the time to fully explore - I suspect it may be the symlinks, but again, need to ascertain....

I'm sorry to hear that you're still getting a blank screen even after the site installs successfully.

It's possible that the missing symlink is causing the issue, but there could be other causes as well. Have you considered checking whether the version of Centos 7 you're using has CentOS 7 Extended Lifecycle Support (ELS)? That could be something worth investigating.

As for the syntax for creating a symlink, it should be something like: ln -s /path/to/source /path/to/destination. If you're getting an "already exists" error, it might mean that the symlink already exists and you just need to delete it first before creating a new one.