We are currently looking for a developer to help us migrate our site from Magento 1 to 2. Can anyone advise how long this should take? We are possibly looking at outsourcing this project but would ideally want someone to work on a contract basis. The site covers approx 200 products, has a blog, info pages etc. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks
For all intents and purposes, migrating from Magento 1 to 2 is a rebuild from the code aspect. There are some official (and unofficial) tools out there that will help migrate the core database tables and help to automatically convert magento 1 into magento 2 code but they're not comprehensive and there's still a lot of development effort that needs to go into it.
For that reasons, it's often been found that starting a fresh implementation (and migrating data) is the best way forward. That does mean that it will take about as long as a regular new site. So it's likely to be comparable to how long it took to do your Magento 1 build.
Obviously, the actual range of time will vary vastly depending on your scale, the partner you choose to work with and the complexity of build and how many off the shelf solutions are used compared to custom development.
As Tom mentioned, switching from M1 to M2 is not really an upgrade but a complete re-platforming because you can not simply upload "upgraded" theme, customizations or extensions into a new system. Project time will greatly depend on the work to be done and responsiveness of the client and can take a few days or a few months.
Here is how we do such switches for our clients:
- Install and configure a clean M2 on a development server or (if current server is compatible) in a subdomain on the client's server (1-2 day)
- Do an initial data migration to get your existing products and categories into a new store (1-3 days)
- Install a new theme or do a custom design and integrate it into M2 (from 2 to 30 days)
- Install required extensions and re-implement customizations (from 2 to 60 days)
- Do the testing (desktop and mobile browsing, search, taxes, shipping, checkout, full order processing cycle, admin and customer notifications, any custom functionality, speed test)
- Do adjustments and fixes for the issues found during the testing (from 1 to 10+ days)
- Do the final testing (2-3 days)
- Schedule the going live day, import missing products, orders and customers into M2 (1 day)
- Go live
Hope this helps.
In order to make an estimated time for your Magento migration project, we need to know more about:
In general, a Magento migration project will take from 1-3 months to complete. After answering the above questions, you can follow this guideline to estimate yourself the total time to move your site to Magento 2.