Something really has to be done about the permissions nightmare.
After failing miserably at my last attempt at installing Magento 2 due to the numerous bugs in both Magento and PHP, I decided to have another go now that 2.0.1/2 and PHP 7.0.3 are now available. A promising start as it actually installed this time round but I have taken to hammering nails through my eyes as a bit of a relief from the complete pain in the backside Magento 2 is causing me.
After many, many hours of fighting with this monster pain I have discovered that a majority of my problems and probably 9 out of 10 of other peoples problems on here are down to permissions.
A typical linux system has a web server running as a user without a shell, in my case on CentOS the user is called apache. Then typically a regular user with a shell is used to administer the system.
While Magento 2 is being interacted with via the web browser it is creating new files and directories as the web server user. So in my case a number of files and directories being created with ownership of apache:aapche. While the cron script has to run as a user that has shell access. The cron job creates files and directories with the ownership user:user. Now there is a mismatch of ownership. CRON can not alter the files crated by the apache user, and apache can't modify the files created by the regular user.
I have followed the documentation guide to permissions and set all files to owner user:apache and given user and group full control of the files. This helps but quickly things go pear shaped again as more files are created with wrong permissions. Particularly when a directory is created and then no files or subdirectories can be created in it.
This is all a big mess forcing me to give up again. Is there a solution?
I find it strange that there are no responses in this thread, because what you say seems to be true; most issues people have are rights-related, and it's a big pain in the ass for everyone. Though there is yet to be a constructive solution for this.
I figured out a way around it, or well, my hoster did. He made a shell script to fix the permissions in a directory. So whatever we do or whatever happens on the server; we can run the fixperm script via ssh, and it sets all the permissions straight again. It's still a headache, but this way it's workable.
But I would love to hear if someone has a permanent fix for this, or if the Magento dev team is adressing the issue.
This is a real issue and you were persuaded to give it another try - a lot of developers will be quicker to raise their hands up and say "I give up - this is not for me".
I'm on a Nexcess server (they're a Magento partner) and I'ms till not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
@ every turn and bend I need to email their support staff.
The bottom line is that to run Magento 2 you will need some sys admin knowledge and using a hosting service is not going to be an option, you will need your own server with AWS or rackspace...