cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Magento on Xampp ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Starting Magento on Xampp ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Hello, I have been a long time without using Magento, and I was trying to make a local copy of Magento on XAMPP. I've downloaded the files from the authorized website and already installed and updated Composer in the htdocs folder in XAMPP, where the Magento files are located.

F:\xampp\htdocs>composer install --ignore-platform-reqs
Installing dependencies from lock file (including require-dev)
Verifying lock file contents can be installed on current platform.
Nothing to install, update or remove

"I went to localhost to start the Magento installation, but I always encounter this error: "ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS". I've already cleared the cache and cookies and attempted to run it from a different browser, but nothing seems to work.

I don't recall Magento being this difficult to install locally. I remember that some years ago, it was very easy to get a working copy locally, but it has been some years since I last used it.

Do I need to upload it to a hosting service to get it working? Am I doing something wrong? I can't even get to configure the database because the installation process doesn't even start.

Thank you to anyone who can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Starting Magento on Xampp ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

The "ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS" error typically occurs when there's a redirect loop and is often caused by misconfigurations in the server settings or the application itself. In the context of Magento on XAMPP, this could be due to incorrect configurations in the Apache or Magento settings.

So you should ensure that your Apache virtual host configuration for Magento is set up correctly, particularly the "DocumentRoot" and "Directory" directives. And also check Magento's base URLs configuration in the database to ensure they match your local environment.

You can directly update these values in the "core_config_data" table in the Magento database. If the issue persists then consider checking Magento's rewrite rules in the ".htaccess" file and ensure they are compatible with your local environment.

@checharor 

Hey,

Please check in core_config_data table in column like "web" in the path column and check whether all the URLs are correct or not.

Problem solved? Click Kudos and "Accept as Solution".
200+ Magento 2 Extensions for Enhanced Shopping Experience.

The "ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS" error you're encountering typically stems from configuration issues. It could be related to your Magento's base URL settings or incorrect server configuration in XAMPP. Check your .htaccess file for any improper rewrite rules and ensure that your base URLs in Magento's core_config_data table are correctly set for your local environment. Sometimes, modifying the 'web/secure/use_in_frontend' and 'web/unsecure/base_url' paths can resolve this issue.

While local installation issues like these can be frustrating, opting for managed Magento hosting can simplify the setup process, as it usually comes with pre-configured environments optimized for Magento, reducing installation complications.