I have finally come to realize that Magento 2 is way to buggy and unusable. I have 30,000 products and 1500 categories. What tables do I need to export in order to bring them in magento 1.9?
Also, are there any differences I need to know about? I know category paths are stored as text instead of primary keys in 1.9, anything else?
Sorry to hear that's been your experience. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about what didn't work for you so I can bring to the attention of our product team. Feel free to reply here or send me a PM.
As for the tables, were you able to find the information you were looking for to export them?
No luck finding a good way to programmatically export the products. I have 31,000 products. I also tried product export function and it just fails and times out, I have tried a few times. If you could provide an SQL script it would be greatly appreciated. Failing that I am going to try to use Magmi to get them into 1.9 and create a clean CSV from my existing product database (not Magento)
My issues with 2.0 are as follows
1. Main issue, almost 0 online support, I post in 4 different forums (magento Stack exchange, stack overflow, here, experts-exchange), no can answer the simplest question. This makes even the smallest issues takes hours or days to solve, if it is even solvable
2. Layered navigation block, I have followed the instructions from the manual (very straight forward), it simply doesn't work for all categories
3. I contacted approved Magento plugin developers and partners, they cannot solve my problems, one of them finally told me not use to 2.0 for at least another year, that he had 15 major bugs and that you were not even returning his emails or calls.
4. How to make prices hidden until users are logged in - no hints anywhere on web on how to do this.
5. Category file paths are stored as IDs in category tables, but as full text in product tables (not a bug, just very terrible design)
I have many more that I have forgotten, this is just off the top of my head
Also re #1, magento stackexchange and stack overflow are mainly for "how tos" etc and if you feel there is a genuine bug, please submit it at https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/
Re migration, have you tried our migration tool: https://github.com/magento/data-migration-tool
Yes, Magento 2.0 product export doesn't seem to work yet, and there aren't any free extensions.
You can use Aten Software's free Product Data Exporter to export the data in CSV format. It was just updated this week to support Magento 2+, while keeping backward compatibility with all Magento 1.x versions.
Installation is simple, just specify a password when you download it, and copy the PHP script to your root Magento installation folder. Make sure you enabled and re-indexed flat category and product tables for best results.
Category information is exported in JSON format. If you need it in a different format, you can use Aten Software's data feed service Free Trial to set up a Google Shopping feed. You can add the following fields to the feed:
Those fields have the categories separated using ' > ', like 'Clothing > Dresses'.