cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to know what is the module used in specific section in admin panel

how to know what is the module used in specific section in admin panel

when i want to override a frontend module , it is so easy, if there is a module that i dont know where it comes from , i can simply enable template hint , but my problem is when i want to change or adding something in admin panel , there's not template hint , and i cant know where anything is coming from and sometimes it is a xml file not phtml like the frontend , how can i know them

for example i need to add a new input in table rates section but i dont know where is displaying form

co2fL.png

1 REPLY 1

Re: how to know what is the module used in specific section in admin panel

1. Template Path Hints (For Blocks): Unfortunately, Magento does not provide template path hints for the admin panel out of the box. However, you can create a custom module that adds this feature. Here's a general outline of how you can do it:

• Create a custom module or use an existing one.
    • Override the Mage_Core_Block_Template class to add a method that enables template hints based on specific conditions (e.g., specific URL parameters).
    • Use event observers to trigger this method when visiting the admin panel.

This is an advanced technique and may require a deep understanding of Magento's inner workings. It's often used by experienced developers who are familiar with Magento's architecture.

2. Search the XML Configuration: For elements displayed in the admin panel, like forms, grids, and configuration sections, you should search the XML configuration files. These files define how different parts of the admin interface are structured. Look in particular for the system.xml and adminhtml.xml files in different modules' etc directories.

• system.xml: This file defines the configuration sections and fields for various system settings.
    • adminhtml.xml: This file configures menu items, ACL permissions, and other aspects of the admin interface.

Search for the section or feature you want to modify, and you can find information about the layout updates, controllers, and block classes associated with it.

3. Use Xdebug and IDE: If you have Xdebug set up and are using a compatible IDE (such as PhpStorm), you can set breakpoints in Magento's code to track down where specific elements are generated or handled. This is a powerful method but requires debugging skills.

4. Magento Developer Documentation: Magento has extensive developer documentation that can help you understand its architecture and how different admin panel elements are structured. The official documentation provides insights into layout XML files, controller actions, and more.

5. Community and Forums: If you're stuck and can't find the information you need, Magento has a large developer community. Posting your question on Magento forums or communities like Stack Overflow can often get you assistance from experienced developers.

6. Magento Extension for Admin Customization: There are extensions available in the Magento marketplace that can help you customize the admin panel more easily. Some of these extensions provide visual editors and other tools to make admin panel customization more user-friendly.