Why is Magento 2.0.2 CE modifying the ownership of *any* file? This is a *very* bad practice - it should always be using proper inheritance.
- The web root folder "html" is set to "uldev:www-data"
- The root folders of the project, along with all files pushed or created at install are set properly to "uldev:www-data"
- nginx is running traditional on Ubunto
- running the site for the first time (from the web)
- changing from development mode to production (via CLI as user uldev who is a member of www-data)
- deploying the static files (via CLI)
pub/static/frontend/Magento/luma/en_US is created and populated - all good.
- the ownership of the files that are created are set to "root:uldev"
- Within the web root there should *never* be a folder with the user of "root" - security people!
- And the group should always match that set in the root of the project and inherited throughout. For that matter the owner should as well.