cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Magento and XAMPP on SSD with separate HDD for all data

How to install Magento and XAMPP on SSD with separate HDD for all data

This is my first time posting a question as I am very new to Magento.

I have been designing websites for a while, but mostly via Dreamweaver and a couple of WordPress themes a while ago. It is extremely important that I get up and running with Magento Community Edition as I need to focus on eCommerce in the future.

My problem is that I have not found a “complete” tutorial that addresses my situation and installing Magento has not worked properly.

Here is my problem:

I am working on a Windows 10 PC with an SSD for my operating system and all programs, and a second hard drive for all data. I’m using Xampp to run Magento on my local machine which is also on the SSD C: drive.

How do I Install Magento  and Xampp on my SSD and have my Database for Magento on my larger HDD data drive?

Please note previously viewed tutorials do NOT address installing Magento and Xammp on a separate SSD with all data on a separate HDD or at least I could not find one.

You help is greatly needed and appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to install Magento and XAMPP on SSD with separate HDD for all data

I also have similar problems ..
im trying to install on localhost ( local computer )

Im installing Magento2 on Xampp framework ( latest edition, withPHP 7.1.2 ).

Magento edition 2.0.13, and Composer to add...

Im getting the error message as shown in the picture enclosed here..

Note that i have already made the adjustments mentioned earlier in this thread ...

anyone have an idea what i might be doing wrong ?xampp.PNG

best regards

Vidar

Hi again Magento Forum,

I am surprised after 3 weeks of my initial post, that the only reply for this problem is another with similar problems. I would have assumed that like creating a Wordpress website, that most advanced web developers would also install Magento on their office computer (localhost) with either Xammp for example...work on their website until it is they way they want and is working correctly, then transfer all files to the permanent hosting server.

Is this not common practice?

To clarify from my original post, I asked "How do I Install Magento  and Xampp on my SSD and have my Database for Magento on my larger HDD data drive?

From that, I thought that Xampp should always be installed on the main operating hard drive (C Drive) which in modern times is a smaller SSD (due to cost) and is used just to install the operating system and your programs since it runs a lot faster, then all data is then stored on a separate (usually a HDD) that is much larger.

If you have the above localhost/office computer setup: an SSD for programs and a common hard drive for all your data, which drive did you install Xampp/Wamp and which drive did you install Magento and the database? And more importantly, is there any tweeks to any files so that everything plays nice and talk to each other?

I hope this clears up my initial question.

Thanks,

I have the same problem, but with the difference that i only have 1 HDD.

My OS is also Win 10 and want to install Magento using XAMPP.

Now is the three time I'm installing the software a I didn't succeed.

The installation it took toooo long, more that 3 hs, and when is over, is not complete because all the style of the theme aren't. 

Hope someone answer you question.