cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 Installation - Worst Experience Ever

Re: Magento 2 Installation - Worst Experience Ever

Just seen this after posting my rant (and desperate call for help) here

We've lost days of time and money trying to install version 2 for a client. I don't have access to apache so god knows how you're supposed to get it installed!

i downloaded CE 2.0 edition for windows 7, where's setup? How to install at all?

I have to agree with heading. Magento 1.x was kinda hard to install compared to competitors, but Magento 2.x is just awful. I was never able to complete it so that it's fully functional. I guess Magento's idea is that if it's free it must scare people away or make them pay instead.

@zildjianfan I have just exactly the same error with the same stacktraces. Did you solve it?

An old thread but developers/customers are still have issues- especially on AWS Micro [Free Tier Instances]. I've personally had some frustrations - with a Bit build so I decided to offer a turn-key Magento App Stack on AWS MP. Just launch the AMI and a few steps you are up and running on an Ubuntu LAMP. Great for demos - themes - modules etc.

You can watch the video: https://youtu.be/CLGlMSz0VTY

Should use the stack, please reach out to me and let me know your feedback, or areas for improvement. That's the whole concept - turn-key!

Thanks,

A.I

Let me echo the sentiments above.  I have spent an inordinate amount of time attempting to get Magento2 up and running, only to feel like a horse at the Grand National.  Jumping over hurdles, only to be faced with another and bigger one.  I am casting Magento into the outer darkness.

My Story, oh and by the way I am a technical developer of some 40 years standing.

1.  I need a website generator for an urgent commission.  I research and select Magento as probably the best approach.

2.  Download the latest CE (2.1.7) edition to my i7 W10 PC from the Magento website.

3.  Setup IIS and PHP as recommended.

4.  Start the Magento installation process.

5.  Go away for the weekend, leaving the installation running.

6.  Return 2 days later to find it stuck at 72% complete, with no machine activity at all.

7.  Research to find it is a common problem and receive some advice as to how to proceed.

8.  Reinstall and reconfigure IIS, PHP.

9  Restart the Magento installation.  Same result.

10. Go off, use Oscommerce to develop the website.  No installation or usage problems here.

11.  Return to Magento.  After advice, download 2.1.5 from GitHub.

12.  Installation successful.  BUT !!!!!

A.  NO ADMIN.  Startup admin, admin directory missing.

B.  NO GRAPHICS.  User screen looks like a dogs breakfast.

13.  Advised to use composer to install.

14.  Install and run composer, according to instructions on Magento website.

15.  Reinstall Magento - No Change.  Crappy user screens, no admin.

16.  Going to use Shopify for all future development.

In summary, if a well-experienced IT professional needs to go through these hoops to fail to get Magento up and running, there are two immediate thoughts.  How the Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo is a less experienced user going to fare?  Second, if this is the hoopla needed for installation, how complex and abstruse is the development process going to be, particularly if additional modules, probably shopping cart payment platforms, are needed. Sorry, but Magento is an epic fail in my book.