cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento For Big Data

Magento For Big Data

Hi There ,

I have three question

1)Magento2 can we  use backend as big data such as Hadoop , Casandra which can be used for large scale application.

2)If yes what are the database settings or how to get the table structure

3) What are the benefits of having mysql over big data .

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Magento For Big Data

Currently M2 is only tested using MySQL. The default installation very much depends on a relational database with transactions, join queries, and so on. We are doing some work in the data persistence area, but it is not a major area of investment for us. I suspect the performance characteristics of Hadoop would just make it "too hard" to get done - just not worth the effort.

If there was a particular area of interest why you need "big data" support for Magento, it may be possible to rework just that area (using a replacement module or "plugins"), but frankly I have not heard of any use cases to date that would be better off using Hadoop for the primary data sources.

Hadoop is more better to send historical data to for analysis. In that case, you may be better defining a plugin or event handler to send the data to capture off to a Hadoop cluster for capture and processing. That does not replace MySQL - it just sends a copy of the relevant data to Hadoop.

Re: Magento For Big Data

Hi Kunal, 

Great question! While the default backend for Magento is MySQL, this data can be easily sent to other databases like Hadoop and Cassandra using managed data warehouse solutions. That said, this decision comes down to your specific use case. 

Could you elaborate on the way you plan to use the transactional data? What are your use cases for using big data solutions like Hadoop/Cassandra? 

Thanks, 
Akash Agrawal, Analyst - Magento Analytics (http://www.rjmetrics.com)