cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed up Magento 2

SOLVED

Speed up Magento 2

Hi!

I installed Magento 2 with sample data. Can you explain some ways to speed up the site. I will change my hosting to SSD disk hosting to begin with. What about processor speed, number of cores, ram? What is your suggestion? I believe releasing php 7 will speed up the site a lot.

Elf

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Speed up Magento 2

we have tested sample data and speeds are very good, if you properly precompile static files, enable all caches and setup Varnish speed as 10x times faster than Magento 1. 

while there is some load, but anyway very good improvement.

not so easy to manage caches and statics, but it will come.

you have to start from here

http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.0/config-guide/bk-config-guide.html

the server specs will be the same as for Magento 1, if you have big shop.

------------
MagenX - Magento and Server optimization

View solution in original post

Hey, I don't even need to reply and you get some great advice from others! ;-)

If I was to recommend one thing, I would say make sure you add Varnish. PHP 7 would come in second. But there are so many performance optimization techniques it is hard to write them all down here. Ultimately you need to work out where your bottlenecks are. The database needs good disk I/O, but if it is on a separate server to the web server then adding SSD to the web server probably won't have as much benefit. Memory, CPU, actual load - these depend on your site and traffic. There is no generic answer.

If speeding up the sample data for a single user I would go with Varnish + PHP 7 + faster CPU + just enough memory. SSD on the DB host is good. Magento tends to be more on the CPU hungry side than memory - but both are important in real life. For a demo with a single user playing with a site, caching and fast CPU will matter more than memory.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

we have tested sample data and speeds are very good, if you properly precompile static files, enable all caches and setup Varnish speed as 10x times faster than Magento 1. 

while there is some load, but anyway very good improvement.

not so easy to manage caches and statics, but it will come.

you have to start from here

http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.0/config-guide/bk-config-guide.html

the server specs will be the same as for Magento 1, if you have big shop.

------------
MagenX - Magento and Server optimization

Hey, I don't even need to reply and you get some great advice from others! ;-)

If I was to recommend one thing, I would say make sure you add Varnish. PHP 7 would come in second. But there are so many performance optimization techniques it is hard to write them all down here. Ultimately you need to work out where your bottlenecks are. The database needs good disk I/O, but if it is on a separate server to the web server then adding SSD to the web server probably won't have as much benefit. Memory, CPU, actual load - these depend on your site and traffic. There is no generic answer.

If speeding up the sample data for a single user I would go with Varnish + PHP 7 + faster CPU + just enough memory. SSD on the DB host is good. Magento tends to be more on the CPU hungry side than memory - but both are important in real life. For a demo with a single user playing with a site, caching and fast CPU will matter more than memory.

Very nice tips. If anyone knows any other tips to improve Magento 2 speed, please share it.

Hi Elfstone,

You can try to set up Magento 2 to speed up your website performance. You check these instructions:
1) Change to production mode:
php bin/magento deploy:mode:set production:
2) Enable JS & CSS optimization.
Go to Stores -> "Configuration" in "Settings" Section -> "Developer" in "Advanced" Tab -> Section "JavaScript Settings" (Fields "Enable Javascript Bundling", "Merge JavaScript Files", "Minify JavaScript Files" change to "Yes") -> Section "CSS Settings" (Fields "Merge CSS Files", "Minify CSS Files" change to "Yes")
3) If store has a big number of products, enable flat-options:
Go to Stores -> "Configuration" in "Settings" Section -> "Catalog" in "General" Tab -> Section "Storefront" -> Fields "Use Flat Catalog Category" and "Use Flat Catalog Product" change to "Yes"
4) Configure Varnish Full page cache:
Go to Stores -> "Configuration" in "Settings" Section -> "System" in "Advanced" Tab -> Section "Full Page Cache" -> Field "Caching Application" change to "Varnish Caching", than configure it.
Hope these tips will help Smiley Wink

Regards, 

Plumrocket Team

Hi Elf

There are lot of things we need to do to speed up the Magento 2 store. You may try these steps.

1. Upgrade your PHP version.

2. Flat catalog: Enable the flat catalog module for products and categories in Magento admin panel.
System> Configuration> Catalog

3. Enable Varnish caching to reduce the number of database operations required for each page request.

System>Cache management

4. Keep the number of third party / community extensions to a minimum. Many extensions introduce extra processing and database queries which has a negative impact on the overall performance.

5. Compress image files.

6. Install JS/CSS “minifier” such as ” Minify Javascript/ CSS” which is made by a leading provider of ” Magento Extension”. Minify JS/CSS will combine, compress and cache JavaScript and CSS files.

7. Optimize the MySQL server.( enable Query Cache and tweak my.cnf parameters)