cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Restrict Worldpay to EE only?

SOLVED

Why Restrict Worldpay to EE only?

What is the reasoning for restricting Worldpay payment module to EE customers only?

The biggest hurdle for most merchants wanting to move to M2 is going to be payments integration, and by making Worldpay an EE only feature you are making life difficult for thousands of smaller merchants.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why Restrict Worldpay to EE only?

I am going to mark this question as resolved if that is OK - I don't think anything more to be answered here. I would however suggest keeping on eye on EE towards Imagine (April next year) if you don't have a solution by that stage. Lots of interesting internal discussions going on (by no means final, so nothing to share here). The Imagine conference is a great forcer of public announcements and decision making. ;-)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

The Enterprise Edition definitely has more features than the Community Edition, and is the major funding source for Community Edition development. (We have to pay the programmers working on the code!) We don't hide that. My best suggestion is if EE is too large a cost for you to consider, then see if you can find a third party extension that supports the integration you need. There is a large a vibrant ecosystem of extensions out there.

We have continual internal debates about what to include in CE versus EE. Now we are a separate company from eBay, we are putting a lot more thought into the EE pricing model. But for now we are not planning to give more EE features away for free. After 2 years of platform investment, you are more likely to see the gap between CE and EE increase next year as we direct more resources at new features for our EE customer base. (We will continue to invest in CE, we are just going to increase the percentage EE resource allocation.)

Magento 2 has put a number of old EE features into CE (e.g. improved page caching) so CE is as stronger product than in Magento 1. I would not be surprised if this trend continues in the future - put new features in EE first, then move some to CE after a period of time when they become common place. (This is a prediction, not a guarantee!)

Thanks for the response.

You guessed right we are a fair way off being able to consider EE as much as we would love to go for it. As a small self-reliant merchant I appreciate the functionality that CE offers for free, there are some big plus points for M2 compared to 1.x, not least full page caching as you mention.

We currently use a paid extension for handling payments in 1.9, and we will be doing so again in M2 if it is necessary, but it would be preferable to have such critical things as payments as core functionality written and maintained by the Magento team. It is also frustrating that we are dependent on waiting for the community to deliver an M2 Worldpay module when there is one already available, albeit behind a large paywall.

So here's hoping that the Worldpay module is one of the things that might one day become CE.

Or how about you sell it for say $200, there's a monetization idea for you, I'll buy 2 licences!

I understand the pain.

The only good news is a goal with M2 has been to make upgrades easier and more localized, so normally an extension should work across multiple releases much more seamlessly. So once ported to M2, migrating between releases should be less of an issue. (The Engineer in me looks forward to demonstrating this working rather than just claiming it - some initial bumps are likely.)

I am going to mark this question as resolved if that is OK - I don't think anything more to be answered here. I would however suggest keeping on eye on EE towards Imagine (April next year) if you don't have a solution by that stage. Lots of interesting internal discussions going on (by no means final, so nothing to share here). The Imagine conference is a great forcer of public announcements and decision making. ;-)

Hi to both of you.

Is there any news on whether WorldPay will be coming to Magento 2.0.

We are looking to migrate from another ecommerce software, and require WorldPay, and ideally - we would love to start with magento 2

I know you said April, but to me, it doesn't look as though there is a solution yet?

Best,

Craig

We are glad to tell you that Magenest has released our Worldpay Payment & Subscription for Magento 2. This extension allows you to integrate your Magento 2 store with Worldpay Payment Gateway, and works for both CE and EE! In addition, our Worldpay Payment Gateway also supports subscription and recurring payments. We have built various payment gateway solutions for different countries and regions. Some of our featured products include Stripe, Sagepay, Moneris, ANZ Payment, so feel free to check it out!