cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manage magento attributes for multiple storeviews / websites ?

How to manage magento attributes for multiple storeviews / websites ?

Hello, 

Im managing a single Magento installation which contains more than 10 websites on multiple languages.

Im rebooting from scratch this Magento installation, I have a question about the attributes and attributes sets.

Let's say that Im selling Smartphones on both Websites X and Y.

Can I use the same attribute set on both Websites without any risk ?

Which is the best attribute set between these two cases ? 
- "Smartphone" : This attribute Set will be used on both websites
- "Website_X_Smartphone" for the Website X and "Website_Y_Smartphone" for the website Y.

Same question for the attributes now :

Which is the best attribute between these two cases for managing the sizes ? 
- "Smartphone_Size" : This attribute will be used on both websites
- "Website_X_Smartphone_Size" for the Website X and "Website_Y_Smartphone_Size" for the website Y.

Let's take now another example : Im selling both Smartphones and tablets on my websites (X & Y)

• Can I use the same "Size" Attribute for both Smartphones and Tablets even if the attribute values are different between theses two products ?

• What are the impacts if I use the same attributes / attributes sets on all websites and on multiple products ? Any performance issue or known magento issues ?

In general, What are the best practices on those cases (Multiple Sites and Multiple Languages on the same Magento Installation)

Thank you very much

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to manage magento attributes for multiple storeviews / websites ?

You can set attribute scope as Global for that attribute which are used in both website.

There are not any performance related issue for Attribute scope.

If you want to use attribute at only specific website, you need to set attribute scope as website so attribute will represent the only specific website.

Which is the best attribute set between these two cases ? 
- "Smartphone" : This attribute Set will be used on both websites
- "Website_X_Smartphone" for the Website X and "Website_Y_Smartphone" for the website Y.

====== You can create only one attribute name like smartphone with scope Global and you can use the attribute on both website.

Which is the best attribute between these two cases for managing the sizes ? 
- "Smartphone_Size" : This attribute will be used on both websites
- "Website_X_Smartphone_Size" for the Website X and "Website_Y_Smartphone_Size" for the website Y.

=== same as above create one smartphone_size attribute with scope global to use in both website and assigned attribute to attribute set.

Can I use the same "Size" Attribute for both Smartphones and Tablets even if the attribute values are different between theses two products ?

===== You can use same attribute.

If Issue Solved, Click Kudos/Accept As solutions. Get Magento insight from
Magento 2 Blogs/Tutorial

Re: How to manage magento attributes for multiple storeviews / websites ?

Thank you for your answer, it's very helpful.

And what if the attributes are used on 14 websites like actually on my Magento installation, it contains more than 2000 products, can using only one attribute Size for example for the 14 websites have a negative impact on performance and stability ?