cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find name of block

How to find name of block

I have created my package based on "rwd" magento 1.9. When I click on a category, say, Women I go to page frontend/my_package/default/template/page/1column.phtml (template hints). In the middle of this page there is a block with template hint: frontend/base/default/template/catalog/category/view.phtml and Mage_Catalog_Block_Category_View. I want to place my module which has subcategories with images into this block. I just can't find the name of the block to insert into. In my layout file I want something like:

<catalog_category_view>
<reference name="????????">
<block type="women/subcategories" name="subcategoriesblock" as="subcategoriesblock" template="subcats/subcats.phtml"/>
</reference>
</catalog_category_view>

I have used $blocks = Mage::app()->getLayout()->getAllBlocks(); to get block names in current page and have tried and tested the various block names but nothing seems to work. Could somebody help and give some suggestion as to how I might get the name of the relevant block. All help will be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to find name of block

Please check below code

$block = Mage::app()->getLayout()->getBlock('root');
$childBlockNameCollection=$block ->_sortedChildren;
echo "<pre>";
print_r($childBlockNameCollection);

The easiest way is to add the display of the block name with its class in the hints. You can do this by rewriting the file app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php in code pull local and modify its code in the following way (approximately in the line 229):

if (self::$_showTemplateHintsBlocks) {
                $thisClass = get_class($this);

Replace with:

if (self::$_showTemplateHintsBlocks) {
                $thisClass = get_class($this) . ' --- Name: ' . $this->getNameInLayout();

The result with activated hints will be the following:

ed853d66f8d655e3c59a68339d383015.png

As you can see, all block names in layout are specified with --- Name: from the class name. It is very comfortable for developers, but you shouldn't forget about class in code pull local during updates and debug.

You can try with <reference name="product_list">

You can also look in to the /frontend/base/default/layout/bundle.xml  file, it is also using the same tag.