cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to have Jan,Feb etc instead of 01,02 in month field for product custom options

SOLVED

How to have Jan,Feb etc instead of 01,02 in month field for product custom options

I can't believe I could not find a solution to an issue which was supposed to be a simple, common sense one.

If I chosse to add a custom option as date field for a product, I want to have the month displaying in its long format in the drop-down field and not as a number.

So instead of having 01,02,03 etc in the drop-down I want to have January,February,March etc.

However, there is apparently NO option in magento to achieve that even though short,medium & long form for "month" are definied somewhere in the core.

So in short: Admin > Product > Custom Options > added date option (dispalying as standard drop-down).

I need to replace the 01,02,03 with January,February,March etc.

Can someone please help me achieve that?

Thanks!

PS: this forum is FULL of BUGS and prevents one from posting by throwing back apparent error messages while NO error is actually present and/or displayed! Wasted 1/2 hour to be able to post a simple message!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to have Jan,Feb etc instead of 01,02 in month field for product custom options

Easy man, this forum has been imporved a lot and is getting better, its not hard to use.

About your question, its also easy, add this method to Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View_Options_Type_Date (its better to rewrite it in local)

protected function _getMonthSelectFromToHtml($name, $from, $to, $value = null)
    {
        $options = array(
            array('value' => '', 'label' => '-')
        );
        for ($i = $from; $i <= $to; $i++) {
            $options[] = array('value' => $i, 'label' => Zend_Locale::getTranslation($i, 'Month', Mage::app()->getLocale()->getLocaleCode()));
        }
        return $this->_getHtmlSelect($name, $value)
            ->setOptions($options)
            ->getHtml();
    }

then find out

monthsHtml = $this->_getSelectFromToHtml('month', 1, 12);

in getDropDownsDateHtml, replace with

monthsHtml = $this->_getMonthSelectFromToHtml('month', 1, 12);

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to have Jan,Feb etc instead of 01,02 in month field for product custom options

There is a block in magento called Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View_Options_Type_Date. This block has a method 

getDropDownsDateHtml that generates the html for the dropdowns. Inside this method, there is a method call to 

_getSelectFromToHtml to generate the html for the months. If you create a block class that extends this class, you can change the behavior of the method _getSelectFromToHtml to return full names of the months by making the label text instead of a number. 

To utilize your class you would need to update the catalog.xml file in your custom theme to reference this new block class. Here is the catalog.xml snippet you need to override:

<block type="catalog/product_view" name="product.info.options.wrapper" as="product_options_wrapper" template="catalog/product/view/options/wrapper.phtml" translate="label">
                    <label>Info Column Options Wrapper</label>
                    <block type="core/template" name="options_js" template="catalog/product/view/options/js.phtml"/>
                    <block type="catalog/product_view_options" name="product.info.options" as="product_options" template="catalog/product/view/options.phtml">
                        <action method="addOptionRenderer"><type>date</type><block>catalog/product_view_options_type_date</block><template>catalog/product/view/options/type/date.phtml</template></action>
                </block>

Change the <block> tag inside the <action> method to reference your new block and that should be that.

Easy man, this forum has been imporved a lot and is getting better, its not hard to use.

About your question, its also easy, add this method to Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View_Options_Type_Date (its better to rewrite it in local)

protected function _getMonthSelectFromToHtml($name, $from, $to, $value = null)
    {
        $options = array(
            array('value' => '', 'label' => '-')
        );
        for ($i = $from; $i <= $to; $i++) {
            $options[] = array('value' => $i, 'label' => Zend_Locale::getTranslation($i, 'Month', Mage::app()->getLocale()->getLocaleCode()));
        }
        return $this->_getHtmlSelect($name, $value)
            ->setOptions($options)
            ->getHtml();
    }

then find out

monthsHtml = $this->_getSelectFromToHtml('month', 1, 12);

in getDropDownsDateHtml, replace with

monthsHtml = $this->_getMonthSelectFromToHtml('month', 1, 12);

You are a genious, thank you very much!

After making the changes you advised in app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Product/View/Options/Type/Date.php it all worked like a charm!

Woman Very Happy

Thanks again! That really helped!