cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sort by a large number of Category Products?

How to sort by a large number of Category Products?

I'm aware that under Manage Categories in the back end, you can rearrange how the products appear on screen in a particular order by typing in a number in the Position field.

My question is: what happens if you have a large quantity of items in your inventory? The reason why I ask is because I'm in the middle of trying to reorder a product catalogue on behalf of a client, but there are over 400 products in stock. You can't manually select AND type in the number of the position per each product because that is a process that will take forever. 

Has anyone else used this extension? Apparently you can drag and drop items to reorder. It seems okay, but still not that ideal:

https://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/product-sorting-sequence-drag-and-drop.html

Is there an alternative where I can import changes to the sorting up products in categories, say for example, arrange the products in a spreadsheet and import it into a database? There has to be an efficient way in what I want to do.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Re: How to sort by a large number of Category Products?

You can create a custom product attribute and named it how ever you like it.

Ex: Sort by Popular

And make sure to select Used for Sorting in Product Listing as yes

Then this attribute  can be exported in product export.

Don Udugala