cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing "starting at" price with total default price for grouped items in category view

Replacing "starting at" price with total default price for grouped items in category view

In my category lists I would like to show the total price for grouped items (as you would see when you first click on the grouped item, without changing any of the quantities)   instead of 'starting at'.

"Starting at" simply shows the price of qty 1 of the cheapest item in the group, which is completely useless to me.

I have found where this is executed in the code, in price.phtml starting at line 430.

After iterating through some tax options (defined in the admin panel I think) the actual line that pulls this up appears to be: 

<span class="price" id="product-minimal-price-<?php echo $_id ?><?php echo $this->getIdSuffix() ?>">
                    <?php echo $_coreHelper->formatPrice($_showPrice, false) ?>

I have a basic grasp of PHP but I have no idea how to tell if there is a variable available that will show what I need, or what that variable would be.   Basically Magento needs to look at the grouped product, calculate the total price with the default product quantities in that grouped product and spit the result out in a variable I can call here.

If that variable exists in Magento I'd love to know what it is, and if not, perhaps some pointers on how I might pull this off efficiently.  

Thank you,

-Mike