cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add more products to live site.

add more products to live site.

We have a site that is going to go live soon.  However after the site is live we still have thousands of more products to enter as well as more categories to create.  Because of the constant changes to css files, etc I need to add the new categories, products, etc on a development database so I have local access to the file structure.  What I don't seem to know how to accomplish is once I add all these changes to the database (new products, categories, etc) how to I migrate those changes to the live site.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: add more products to live site.

Hello ubcomputers,

I have two suggestions for you:

a)Categories and custom attributes: you must create on live site.

b)Products: you import by using default Magento: System > Import/Export > Import.

c)CMS Block and pages: you can create upgrade scripts. Then deploy code to live site. Must test before deploying.

Create all things into your local database. Then copy local to live site database. You can use SQLYog to copy from different hosts. SQLyog is powerful Mysql management and admin tool. => should use this way if your site still not going live.

You also change web/secure/base_url and web/unsecure/base_url to live site url  in core_config_data table.

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

Thanks for your reply.   First of all, I am not sure what you mean by "Then copy local to live site database".  Do you mean create a second database on the live site hosting platform and then import the development database into the new database?  If so, then will SQLYog be able to migrate the new changes into the "live" database?

Hello ubcomputers,

I'm not clear in my second point. You can create another database on your hosting or use exist database. MySQLyog will copy all things, including new changes to live database Smiley Tongue. This way likes normal way (copy/duplicate). Sorry, MySQLyog don't know new changes. I use MySQLyog for my task, so I suggest it for you. 

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!