cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add or edit products anymore after extension removal. Exception Log errors.

Cannot add or edit products anymore after extension removal. Exception Log errors.

We recently purchased the Hello Bar Extension for Magento from Magik Commerce.

After following their steps to install the extension by FTP, the backend of Magento became inaccessible.

We then went through and removed all the files. That restored the backend, but now we’re receiving a processing error when trying to edit a product.

We're using Magento 1.9.0.1.

We reviewed the exception.log and found the following errors:

exception 'Mage_Core_Exception' with message 'Invalid block type: Mage_Hello_Block_Hello' in /chroot/home/brand/brand.com/html/app/Mage.php:595
Stack trace:
#0 /chroot/home/brand/brand.com/html/includes/src/__default.php(28052): Mage::throwException('Invalid block t...')
#1 /chroot/home/brand/brand.com/html/includes/src/__default.php(27994): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->_getBlockInstance('hello/hello', Array)
#2 /chroot/home/brand/brand.com/html/includes/src/__default.php(28029): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->createBlock('hello/hello', 'hello_index')
#3 /chroot/home/brand/brand.com/html/includes/src/__default.php(27796): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->addBlock('hello/hello', 'hello_index’)

I can't find any other files associated with the extension or where to modify or remove any code left by the extension. I also don't see any database tables related to the extension.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Cannot add or edit products anymore after extension removal. Exception Log errors.

Hi @warren_samu,

It seems you're using the Magento's compiler.

In my opinion you shouldn't use it.

The easier way to disable it is using Magento shell.

Go to the shell directory and then run:

php compiler.php state

Now you'll see the current status of or compiler. If is enabled and/or compiled, please, execute this commands:

php compiler.php disable
php compiler.php clear

Now is disabled and you've cleared all the generated files.

Can you try it and check if the blog module is failing again?

Re: Cannot add or edit products anymore after extension removal. Exception Log errors.

Hi @Damian Culotta!

Thank you for you help.

I did go through shell and disable and clear the compiler.

I also discovered today that an old extension, MageMonkey was causing errors in the exception.log.

Unfortunately, after:

• Removing the MageMonkey extension files
  • Removing the MageMonkey database tables
  • Removing the database tables for the extension that originally trigger this (Hello Bar)
  • Disabling the compiler
  • Clearing the compiler
  • Clearing the Magento cache (deleting the Cache folder)

I'm still receiving the following error page when I try to edit a product:

There has been an error processing your request

Exception printing is disabled by default for security reasons.

Hello @warren_samu,

If you get still same error then please follow below steps

1. Go to includes/config.php, Please add # on define method like
    #define('COMPILER_INCLUDE_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'src');
    #define('COMPILER_COLLECT_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'stat');
  2. For make sure, find hello word related of block on project and remove it.
  3. Clear cache.

Hope it will fix your issue. Let us know if you have any trouble.

--
If issue is solved, Click "Kudos" & "Accept as Solution"

The two lines already had hashtags. In fact, this is all that's in the config.php:

<?php
/**
 * Magento
 * NOTICE OF LICENSE
 * This source file is subject to the Open Software License (OSL 3.0)
 * that is bundled with this package in the file LICENSE.txt.
 * It is also available through the world-wide-web at this URL:
 * http://opensource.org/licenses/osl-3.0.php
 * If you did not receive a copy of the license and are unable to
 * obtain it through the world-wide-web, please send an email
 * to license@magentocommerce.com so we can send you a copy immediately.
 * DISCLAIMER
 * Do not edit or add to this file if you wish to upgrade Magento to newer
 * versions in the future. If you wish to customize Magento for your
 * needs please refer to http://www.magentocommerce.com for more information.
 * @category   Mage
 * @package    Mage
 * @copyright  Copyright (c) 2008 Irubin Consulting Inc. DBA Varien (http://www.varien.com)
 * @license    http://opensource.org/licenses/osl-3.0.php  Open Software License (OSL 3.0)
 */

##define('COMPILER_INCLUDE_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'src');
#define('COMPILER_COLLECT_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'stat');

For make sure, find hello word related of block on project and remove it.

Where do I find this?

Hi @warren_samu,

Maybe you have a module into app/code/community or, possibly, app/code/local called Something_Hello ? ("Something" won't be the vendor name but the module could be called Hello).

It seems there is a module or a reference to that module that is causing the error too.

I'm afraid not Smiley Sad

Hi @warren_samu,

Sorry, the invalid block type probably came from the layout definition on your theme.

If you take a look into the layout xml files into your active theme directory maybe there is a node with a reference to the block hello/hello.

Something like:

<block type="hello/hello" name="hello" />

(I don't know if the name will be hello but the type probably will be like that)

Can you check it?

The two most recently modified files were local.xml and checkout.xml on 8/2/18. These did not contain a reference to either extension and they were modified before the Hello Bar extension was installed.

The rest of the files haven't been modified since 2017 or earlier.

Does anyone know a qualified and trusted Magento developer (freelance or agency) that could assist with this issue? I feel like given the currently level of troubleshooting, someone could go in a fix this in an hour or so.