cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GA4 not tracking e-commerce sales in Magento 1.9.2.4

GA4 not tracking e-commerce sales in Magento 1.9.2.4

Hello - I have been asked to help out with a Magento 1.9.2.4 store and add Google Analytics 4 tracking to it.

I have done this by adding the GA4 tag code to System > Configuration > Design > HTML Head > Miscellaneous Scripts.

I have switched off the built in GA3 support System > Configuration > Sales > Google API (turned 'Enable' to 'No").

Tracking data is coming through to the Google Analytics 4 dashboard, however no e-commerce data (sales, products etc) is coming through, I just have £0. Data was coming through with GA3.

Does anyone know what I can do to rectify this? Do I need to add more code somewhere? Or is there a plugin that anyone can recommend?

I am not familiar with Magento, but I can follow an instruction!

I know, Magento 1.9.2.4 is old and unsupported, and I have advised my client of this, however if anyone could help me I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: GA4 not tracking e-commerce sales in Magento 1.9.2.4

To rectify the issue of GA4 not tracking e-commerce sales in Magento 1.9.2.4:

1. Confirm GA4 Configuration: Enable "Enhanced E-commerce Reporting" in GA4 settings.

2. Modify GA4 Tag Code: Update the tag code with e-commerce tracking parameters, including transaction details and product information.

3. Verify Checkout Process: Ensure that the checkout process triggers the GA4 tracking code correctly.

4. Consider Third-Party Extensions: Explore Magento extensions like "Google Analytics+" or "Google Tag Manager for Magento" for better compatibility and features.

Remember to test the implementation thoroughly.

If you still face the issues and need any help contact us here, We will forward to help you.

Thanks for replying but please can you tell me where to find step 1 Enable "Enhanced E-commerce Reporting" in GA4's settings. Where exactly is it in the settings? I can see it in GA3, but not GA4.

I also said "I am not familiar with Magento, but I can follow an instruction!". So for step 2, can you point me in the direction of a rescue that gives explicit instructions on how to "Update the tag code with e-commerce tracking parameters, including transaction details and product information" for Magento 1.9.2.4.

Thank you.

You can find step by step solution to enable Enhanced E-commerce Reporting in GA4 and update the tag code for Magento 1.9.2.4:

Enabling Enhanced E-commerce Reporting in GA4:

1. Sign in to your Google Analytics account and go to your GA4 property.
  2. From the left-hand menu, click on "Data Streams."
  3. Select the data stream associated with your website or app.
  4. On the right-hand side, click on "Measurement settings."
  5. Scroll down to the "E-commerce" section and enable the "Enhanced E-commerce Reporting" toggle switch.

Updating the tag code for Magento 1.9.2.4:

1. Access your Magento admin panel.
  2. Look for the section related to adding or modifying tracking codes. It's often found under "System" > "Configuration" > "Sales" > "Google API."
  3. Find the section where you can enter the Google Analytics tracking ID or code.
  4. Update the code with the necessary e-commerce tracking parameters, including transaction details and product information. Refer to Google's documentation or GA4 developer guides for the specific parameters required for e-commerce tracking in GA4.
  5. Save the changes and clear any caches in Magento.

I hope this concise summary helps you with enabling Enhanced E-commerce Reporting in GA4 and updating the tag code for Magento 1.9.2.4.

If the issue will be resolved, Click Kudos & Accept as a Solution

Thank you for getting back to me.

When I click on the data stream there is no "Measurement settings" and thus I can see no "E-commerce" section. 

Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 09.39.12.png

Kindly, Please reach out to us at Milople. So I can help you out

Thank you for your offer however my client has no large budget to implement GA4 so we cannot pay for consultancy.

Regarding your query, please check the below link.

https://www.scommerce-mage.com/magento-google-tag-manager.html

This module would help you to add GA4 tracking as well as other trackings to the website, you do not need to use any code and it is just a one time investment. 

Hi, did you ever solve this? I have the exact same issue - hoping you found a way to fix it. I am not getting any clear path when I search google. 

Hope you will get back to me Smiley Happy

( zaki@trendbazaar.dk )

Hi, my client decided not to bother updating to GA4 as they are changing their website provider soon. However I would have gone with the suggested plugin as noted by the other person who replied as that seemed the best method to me. Good luck!