cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M1 Tax Table calculation if no rule found for zip/state?

M1 Tax Table calculation if no rule found for zip/state?

I've been preparing a fairly large tax table to upload to M1. I have a question regarding how Magento may handle a specific scenario.

CA  90001

CA  90002

etc.... until all codes are input for that state

Let's say I have, what I think, is every zip in my table for California (example) and then a customer enters the wrong zip code or they enter one that was missed in the tax table. Is there a way, in the tax tables, that if the entered zip code is not found then charge tax based on a new tax code for all of california?

Let's say, theoretically, the customer accidentally enters 99001 instead of 90001 which is a number in my tax table. Since 99001 is not a number, what does magento do? Does it simply not charge tax and the order is allowed to go through? The zip would get automatically corrected in shipping, but it is too late to collect tax on this order. 

I'm wondering if it is possible in the way magento finds the correct tax in your tables, to put a general tax for that state if there are no other matching entries? In this case, since 99001 is not an entry in the state then it would fall back to this rule:

State    ZipCode    Tax Rate

CA       *                 10%