cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 1.8.1.0 PayPal IPN postback failure

Magento 1.8.1.0 PayPal IPN postback failure

Hi everybody,

I have a Magento 1.8.1.0 e-commerce website updated with the latest security patches. It runs on linux machine with openSUSE 12.3 and:

PHP 5.3.17
Apache 2.2.29
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.33
OpenSSL 1.0.1j

The PayPal payment flow always worked fine till a month ago. Suddenly, without any code change, the orders stopped moving from the Pending Payment state to Processing. Customers are still able to pay for the order, however they are not able to see the order in their personal area and they do not receive the corresponding automatic email.

Since the problem is just when users select the PayPal payment method during checkout (PayPal Pro is configured), I enabled the PayPal debug log from the admin panel and started analyzing logs. What I get in the file is a bunch output like this for every order with PayPal:

2016-09-26T07:09:59+00:00 DEBUG (7): Array (
[ipn] => Array
    (
        [address_city] => XXX
        [address_country] => XXX
        [address_country_code] => XX
        [address_name] => XXX XXX
        [address_state] => XX
        [address_status] => unconfirmed
        [address_street] => XXXXX
        [address_zip] => XXX
        [business] => XXX@XXX.it
        [charset] => windows-1252
        [custom] => 
        [first_name] => XXX
        [handling_amount] => 0.00
        [invoice] => XXXXX
        [ipn_track_id] => XXXXX
        [item_name] => 
        [item_number] => 
        [last_name] => XXXX
        [mc_currency] => EUR
        [mc_fee] => 4.06
        [mc_gross] => 148.34
        [notify_version] => 3.8
        [payer_email] => XXXX.XXXX@gmail.com
        [payer_id] => XXXX
        [payer_status] => unverified
        [payment_date] => 12:49:56 Sep 25, 2016 PDT
        [payment_fee] => 
        [payment_gross] => 
        [payment_status] => Completed
        [payment_type] => instant
        [protection_eligibility] => Eligible
        [quantity] => 1
        [receipt_id] => XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX
        [receiver_email] => XXX@XXX.it
        [receiver_id] => XXXXXXXXX
        [residence_country] => XX
        [shipping] => 0.00
        [tax] => 26.75
        [transaction_subject] => 
        [txn_id] => XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        [txn_type] => pro_hosted
        [verify_sign] => XXXXXXXXXXXX
    )

[postback] => mc_gross=148.34&invoice=800000925&protection_eligibility=Eligible&address_status=unconfirmed&payer_id=XXXXXX&tax=26.75&address_street=via+Val+Senio+12&payment_date=12%3A49%3A56+Sep+25%2C+2016+PDT&payment_status=Completed&charset=windows-1252&address_zip=XXXXX&first_name=XXX&mc_fee=4.06&address_country_code=XX&address_name=XXXX+XXXX&notify_version=3.8&custom=&payer_status=unverified&business=XXX%XXX.it&address_country=XXXX&address_city=XXX&quantity=1&verify_sign=XXXX-q8BJ&payer_email=XXX.XXX%40gmail.com&txn_id=XXXXXX&payment_type=instant&last_name=XXXX&address_state=XX&receiver_email=XXX%XXX.it&payment_fee=&receiver_id=XXXXX&txn_type=pro_hosted&item_name=&mc_currency=EUR&item_number=&residence_country=XX&receipt_id=2054-6203-1063-6630&handling_amount=0.00&transaction_subject=&payment_gross=&shipping=0.00&ipn_track_id=XXXXXXX&cmd=_notify-validate
[postback_to] => https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
[postback_result] => 
[exception] => PayPal IPN postback failure. See paypal_unknown_ipn.log for details.
[__pid] => 6037 )

Hence I found out that there was this exception PayPal IPN postback failure. See paypal_unknown_ipn.log for details.. I called the PayPal support that verified that the configuration both in the PayPal account and in my Magento website was correct. However nothing changed and the orders paid with PayPal are still not correctly processed.

I tried with this solution but still the problem wasn't solved (hence i reverted back the changes).

Does anybody have an idea of how to solve this?

Thank you in advance!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Magento 1.8.1.0 PayPal IPN postback failure

The easiest solution to this issue with Paypal IPN is to use this extension:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/mage-paypal-ipn-notification-alerts.html

Ensure to follow the instructions after installation to change your PayPal IPN address to:

http://www.YOURSTORENAMEHERE.com/paypalipn/ipnlistener.php

OpenSource Expert | OpenSource Technologies | www.opensourcetechnologies.com
Magento plugins released: http://www.opensourcetechnologies.com/product/product-category/magento-extensions