cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento Connect cannot run upgrades

Magento Connect cannot run upgrades

Hi,

Since upgrading my site to CE 1.9.1 through Softaculous, I have been unable to get the Magento Connect Manager to work.

I get the error message Cannot unpack gzipped data in file contents: '/downloader/../downloader/cache.cfg', which I have had before. When I delete cache.cfg and connect.cfg (the normal course of action to fix this problem) I can then login the Magento Connect, but as soon as I try to check for upgrades, I get the wheel of death, and the site times out.

When I then go to log back in the Cannot unpack gzipped data in file contents: '/downloader/../downloader/cache.cfg' error appears again.

I have also tried installing a fresh installation of Magento and copying across the downloader files to the directory and clearing the cache manually. I can then get into the magento connect manager again, but as soon as I run the check for upgrade, I get the same errors and problems.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Magento Connect cannot run upgrades

Can you confirm you downloader folder is writable?

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

Yes - it has a file perm of 755

For anyone else who experiences this problem - I found my own resolution.

I did the following to get around it:

1. normal process of renaming/deleting cache.cfg and connect.cfg

2. Go into Magento Downloader

3. Pressed the check for upgrades button

4. Get the error message Cannot unpack gzipped data in file contents: '/downloader/../downloader/cache.cfg'

5. Rename/delete cache.cfg and connect.cfg AGAIN

6. Refresh browser page

It then gives me the highlighted list of upgrades. I am able to run the upgrades at this stage.

However, the problem does reoccur the next time I go into downloader. So still need a more permanent fix.