cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimising Magento 1.9 for a different country

Optimising Magento 1.9 for a different country

I have joined this forum because I am not too familiar with Magento but have had a Magento website and some requirements thrust upon me.

There is an existing Magento website that is setup to sell products in Sterling GBP with a .com domain name. The client has asked me to "optimise the site for the Replublic of Ireland" (which is a Euro country).

At a high level these are the options that I feel might be achievable with:

Change the site to be EUR

Amend site to switch pricing based on IP - checkout will remain at base currency

Amend site to switch pricing based on IP - checkout will respect currency

Implement multistore option using a .ie domain name

Switching the site to EUR is probably not an option as these guys still want to trade with their existing client base so I am wondering about the other options. I see that Magento 1.9 has the ability to create multiple stores and I see also that it is possible to set the 'scope' of the currency to be set on a 'per website' basis. However I do not know the consequences of doing such a thing. If I change the site to use 'websites' instead of stores do I need to configure multiple domain names to work with the Magento installation?

Really what I am asking about is can anyone suggest how best to achieve what the client wants in Magento?

Thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to provide any kind of guidance here.